Computer died on me :(

edited May 2006 in Hardware
My computer was being a total retard and crashed (as most microsoft OSs do *cough*) just a bit ago, so I tried to bring up ctrl + alt + delete, but that wouldn't work. I was about to smash the stupid thing in until I realised I could just press the restart button and have the computer run afterwards like that. Thing is, when I pressed the restart button, the computer just died on me.

Same thing happened yesterday, too, although the computer wasn't actually switched on at the time. I tried to turn it on, but it just wouldn't start up. In a (pitiful) attempt to get it running, I took out the speaker connection thing (it's attached to the power supply, so the power supply plugs into that, and then the speaker thing plugs into the computer) and just had the power supply go into my computer. I then tried to start it up again,and it mysteriously worked.

Anyway, just so everyone knows:

I have hardly any idea of what my system specifications are

and

I have no idea how to take a computer apart.

Oh, and I'm broke considering it's not exactly what you could call legal having a job at my current age.

Thanks in advance :)

edit: ...I'm not going get any help, am I? I should try memorising all the info about my computer, that'll get me somewhere, lol.

And if anyone wants to know, my computer power thingy is 220v (my computer *is* quite old, and I bet the only solution to make it work is to buy a new power supply thing. If that's the case, can someone point me in the direction of a cheap but good computer? I've wanted one for a long time, but like I've said before, I haven't really got any money... I'll ask my parents one for Christmas (oh noes, months away!))

edit edit: Okay, my computer started up for a little while (I just left the power thing out for a while, and then I put it back in... it was okay for around 10 minutes but then suddenly died.) and I think there's a problem with the fan aswell... when I took the power supply back out, the surface near the fan was quite hot.

The computer I'm currently using (we've got 3) has been on for longer than the other one, and the surface by the fan is quite cool. Then again, this is a newer and obviously better computer, as opposed to the 3948935829 year old piece of junk in the other room.

... yes.

Comments

• V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    I'm not sure that I understand the problem, or the "speaker thingy." It would be nice to tell us in detail what HAPPENS when your computer "dies" on you. Also, if you could find the manual, or maybe just tell us the company and what model it is, we may be able to find specs online.

Oooo I'm getting good at this.... :Rocker:
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    If you want a cheap new computer just go to bestbuy. Emachines are really cheap.

here you go $330 and it has everything you need. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=999955400050009&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01173&id=pcmprd55600050009

First, I would suggest trying to get this current computer fixed. And like scar said, Im still confused about the speaker thing. A speaker cable wouldnt be able to switch with the PSU cable because well they just wouldnt. Unless im not understanding something, I think you have the wires confused.

any chance you could take some pictures?
  • edited May 2006
    Does the PSU seem dusty or dirty at all?

[edit]I'm guessing the speakers are powered by a plug that goes into the back of the PSU. You put your normal power lead in there after.[/edit]
  • edited May 2006
    I'm sure that I didn't confuse the wires up 'cos as soon as I took the speaker thing out, there was no sound whatsoever. Which might have been because the computer was off, but just to make sure, I turned it on. :P

My brother set it up for me a while ago and he had no idea on what the hell to do with it, so he just connected it to the psu cable (I got the name right! :)), and yay, it worked. rapture-ic is right, I think... I'm quite good with computers but know jack all about all of the wires and whatever.

As for it dying on me, all that happens is it.. just turns off. Like one moment I'm trying to burn some of my files onto a cd, and the next moment, it's just..not on. I'm not good at explaining things :P

I'm not going to bother with getting the computer fixed. To be honest, I need a new one anyway considering that that one is 7 years old (!!). (What's the average time that a computer can last without dying, anyway?) Thanks for the linkage :)
  • edited May 2006
    By the sounds of things I'm thinking its overheating. Give the insides a bit of a clean and see if it stays on for any longer. If you're worried about breaking anything just clean around the vents and wait for your brother to come help you out!