CD not booting..

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Different computer, this time (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, look at my other thread where my computer go a splode. Not literally.).

Anyway - not long ago, I ordered Windows XP Pro, and it came a few days back. Thing is, it's not exactly what you could call working... I put the cd in and it started everything up. Atleast, until it got to the serial key screen. I entered my serial key thing and then it came up that it was incorrect. I checked for any mistakes, but to no avail, the stupid thing wouldn't work.

Then I phoned up microsoft support, and after trying to tell them about a gazillion times that yes, my serial key IS real, and no, I'm not using a program I downloaded off the internet, I gave up - they didn't want to know anything about it.

So, I borrowed a friend's copy of Microsoft Pro XP (dunno why I didn't do that in the first place) and it was burned. As in a program burned onto the disk, not all frazzled... duh. I made a copy of it (using MagicISO to burn the .iso file onto a disk). It did come up as bootable, but although I've changed the BIOS order and everything (something like CD ROM/C/A?), the screen afterwards says something like:

Booting from CD...

No media found!

and then it just loads up as normal.

So, I'm going to try using the 'E/C/A' (or something like that, my memory is awful) bios as my non cd rewriter drive is E.

A = floppy, B = non existant, C = 1st hard drive, D = 2nd hard drive (currently formatted), E = CD rom drive, Z = cd rewriter.

Z is the cd rewriter because I don't like the letter F. I am weird.

And from the 'no media found' bit, it sounds like there's actually no data on the disk for it to load up. And the disk *is* inside the cd rom. No, I'm not using it as a coffee cup holder.

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. I don't really care if the version I'm using is illegal... if Microsoft can't be bothered to help me with my own legal XP disk, then I may aswell just use someone else's copy of it.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    o_rly wrote:
    ...I don't really care if the version I'm using is illegal...
    We do. ;)

Any further mention of illegally obtained software will get this thread closed in a hurry.

...if Microsoft can't be bothered to help me with my own legal XP disk, then I may aswell just use someone else's copy of it.
    Regarding the Windows CD itself, any disc will do, at least as long as it's the same version. (Home vs. Pro; OEM vs. Retail; Upgrade vs. Full)

If your key is legitimate then MS should be able to help you get it sorted out. If that is the case then there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to get you up and running by issuing you a code to enter at the appropriate time.

Forgive me for being skeptical, but most people do not pay $100 (or more) for software, then abandon all efforts to get it to work as fast as you seem to have done. Perhaps some further details would help us assist you. :wave:
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    Yes, if you look around, you'll find I had the same problem a few weeks back. When I called microsoft, they found my key, they just said that they couldn't do anything about it except send me another CD for like $25. I went out and bought the upgrade OEM for $50 so that I'd have 2 licenses. So really, if you have a real key, they would be able to find it, maybe not help though. Either way, if it doesn't work, why not return it and get a different CD?
  • edited May 2006
    I changed the story a bit in the first post 'cos I couldn't be bothered to explain it fully as it didn't really seem all that necessary.

anyway, I didn't buy it, but a 'friend' bought it for me, and I have no idea where the hell they got that from... I used 's because I'm not really friends with them anymore (and I got an XP cd out of it, yay! but then again I spent more than that on them :\) and I'm not going to ask them, either.

Anyway, (my fave word as of now) I found out that my brother has a friend who develops stuff for microsoft (gah, this sounds horribly made up, doesn't it?) and he said that he'll help me either get a new LEGAL cd or he'll find another way to get me it.

Or I could just try calling microsoft again. Or...erm..forget about my differences with that person. And ask them where they got it from. Probably amazon.

/randomness

p.s. sorry if it does sound like..well, a load of b$. Another person in a different forum had the same thing happen to them and I was pretty skeptical of them too.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    o_rly wrote:
    I changed the story a bit in the first post 'cos I couldn't be bothered to explain it fully as it didn't really seem all that necessary.

anyway, I didn't buy it, but a 'friend' bought it for me, and I have no idea where the hell they got that from... I used 's because I'm not really friends with them anymore (and I got an XP cd out of it, yay! but then again I spent more than that on them :\) and I'm not going to ask them, either.

Anyway, (my fave word as of now) I found out that my brother has a friend who develops stuff for microsoft (gah, this sounds horribly made up, doesn't it?) and he said that he'll help me either get a new LEGAL cd or he'll find another way to get me it.

Or I could just try calling microsoft again. Or...erm..forget about my differences with that person. And ask them where they got it from. Probably amazon.

/randomness

p.s. sorry if it does sound like..well, a load of b$. Another person in a different forum had the same thing happen to them and I was pretty skeptical of them too.

Well I'm lost. Is this or is this not a GENUINE MICROSOFT XP CD?
  • edited May 2006
    erm... yeah. it is genuine, just that the activation code didn't work.