Commit Charge

iHatePopUpsiHatePopUps Singapore
edited May 2006 in Hardware
How do I increase my commit charge limit? I've seen PCs with lower hardware and RAM than my PC but they have a higher commit charge...

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    a bigger commit charge is not a good thing, I dont know what M$ was thinking by naming it a commit charge, but it is the paging file, and the more ram you have, the lower that it needs to be. but you can not get rid of it.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    commit charge is the sum of physical ram and paging file.
    edited May 2006
    Umm..are you sure, I just went to wiki, and they say differently, not a big deal. but, just want to get my facts straight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commit_charge

anyway, Why do they call it the commit charge.?? that always left me a bit puzzled.
    edited May 2006
    interpret the following information how you want:

RAM 512 MB
    Page 1024 MB (Fixed)
    Commit 1505 MB (Limit)
  • iHatePopUpsiHatePopUps Singapore
    edited May 2006
    so having too much commit charge as a max is a bad thing? I notice the more applications I leave open, the more commit charge I use. Doesn't that mean that having a higher commit charge limit would allow me to use more applications?
    edited May 2006
    Increasing your commit charge by getting more RAM: Good.
    Increasing your commit charge by increasing pagefile: Moot.

If you never see the pop-up balloon about running low on virtual memory, then you can leave everything the way it is.
    edited May 2006
    Your pf useage at the screen shot looks fine, I barely go past 3% useage unless Im running 5 or 6 apps at once. I really wouldnt worry about unless your computer starts throwing fits about being low, or out of virtual memory, like shwaip said, dont worry.
  • iHatePopUpsiHatePopUps Singapore
    edited May 2006
    Okay...my PC has around 24 processes running on startup (including the antivir and ZA). Turning on winamp, around 2-3 bittorrent clients and playing Football Manager on my pc with friends would sometimes result in low virtual memory, which will cause FM to shut down by itself. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. So I should get more RAM then? Btw, what is the recommended amount of RAM u guys think a home PC should have? I'm on 1gB DDR2.
    edited May 2006
    All I have is 1gb, and I never have any problems running up to 6 apps on a regualar basis. Dont know why your computer is freaking out, I would give it more paging file. increase the pf by 200mb, and see if that helps. it doesnt sap your performance very much, it only uses it if it needs it.