Which Socket 939 CPU should I get?

Kristof2Kristof2 Member
edited June 2006 in Hardware
I am looking for a new CPU for my Epox 9NPA+ Ultra. Which one would be the best for around $300 or less?? I see a bunch but I am kind of confused by all the new ones coming out. I will mostly be using it for movies some games and of course folding.

Kristof2

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    165 Opteron.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    or a 3800 x2. depends what you want.
  • edited May 2006
    If you plan on OCing, I'd get the Opti 175 over 165 because of its 10X multiplier. If it's not important to you, the 165 is also a fine chip.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    If you plan on OCing, I'd get the Opti 175 over 165 because of its 10X multiplier. If it's not important to you, the 165 is also a fine chip.
    correction ...the 175 has the 11 multi and the 170 has the 10 multi. You were close! :thumbsup:
    The biggest factor as far as the multi is concerned has to do with how high you can push the htt on your mobo. Like if you get a 165 you'll need a mobo capable of high htt's to be able to clock it high. A 165 would take 333htt to get to 3ghz whereas a 170 would take 300htt ...and a 175 273x11.
    The 175 might be easier to get there but doesn't make it any more capable. And there are quite a few more factors that go into overclocking.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    for $300 the opty 175 is good or a 3800 X2 is also really good.
    edited June 2006
    You might find a 165 for $300 or less with the coupon code ...awesome chip really!
    edited June 2006
    what coupon code? Am I missing something, Im fixing to buy a opty 170 in the near future.
    edited June 2006
    Here's the link to fat wallet with the monarchcomputer coupon codes http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?start=80&catid=18&threadid=593991.

These are still valid cause I just ordered one ...but it's only good for the OEM model and not the retail ...and you can add the 3 year warranty for and extra $15.
    edited June 2006
    yeh, no need to buy the retail packaging anyway. i want to plop the biggest cooler on it that I can fit, and then im hoping to overclock it to at least 2.6, but im hoping for 2.8, and im contemplating watercooling even if its just for the cool factor, and then Id like to hit 2.9.
    edited June 2006
    Watercooling is nice but it can get expensive ...especially if you want to compete with big typhoon etc.
    edited June 2006
    yeh, the watercooling is a big if right now, like i said, most likely will end up with a nice heatpipe cooler.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited June 2006
    The standard cooler included in the Opteron 165/170/175 retail package is very nice,
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46674

Don't know what kind of cooler that's included in the X2 3800+ retail package.

Most Opteron 165/170/175 will overclock between 2.5 -> 3.0 GHz.
    But if OC is not your goal, then get the one that you can afford.
    edited June 2006
    Yeh, I saw that thread, although, the xp-90 still outpaced it pretty well, and the big typhon will outpace the xp-90. so its still worth the investment. Id like to do watercooling , but from the looks of it, it would cost me about $300 for the entire setup. That really doesnt seem worth it, although, if I just happen to have money I will go ahead and do it. For the $300, I could buy an mp3 player for that much money.
  • edited June 2006
    Actually, if you replace that stock fan on the retail heatpipe with an 80mm focused flow lower noise fan such as the Delta FFB0812HHE (quietest of delta's focused flow series), it will cool as well as the XP90 with retail Thermalright fan. I know because I've tested both.

processor-X2-4400 at 2530 MHz

retail heatpipe w/Delta HHE- Avg vcore-1.57v, avg sys temp-28 C, avg loaded temp-51 C, max loaded temp-53 C

XP90 w/retail TR fan- Avg vcore-1.57v, avg sys temp-27 C,avg loaded temp-53 C, max loaded temp-55 C

As far as noise goes, the retail heatpipe with the quiet Delta focused flow was a little bit noisier, but not objectionable. The XP90 with the retail TR fan is pretty quiet, a little quieter than the retail/Delta combo.

If noise doesn't bother you, the retail heatpipe kicks serious ass with a Tornado or Delta SHE slung on top.

retail heatpipe w/Delta SHE(68cfm)- Avg vcore-1.57 v, avg system temp-28 C, avg loaded temp-45 C, max loaded temp-49 C.

All these runs were done in my computer room, which is maintained as constant as I can with a digital temp window AC. The processor was loaded by running 2 folding clients folding Dgro wu's, which use the SSE2 instructions.

BTW, these tests are going to be part of a future article here. It's just taking me a lot longer than I first thought to get the equipment all together and have time to run the tests.