Plz Plz Help Blue Screen

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I have seen this problem posted on this site be4 but i cant understand wat moderator mothercard means or all that stuff so could someone plz explain to me like you are talking to a two-year old how to fix this problem?

Basically i turn on my comp(which is a Dell Laptop Windows XP) and then a menu pops up telling me my comp didnt start right so i get to choose how i siign on: Safe mode, safe mode with networketc. and sign on normally or sign on way it worked last time. Safe mode doesnt even work with my problem just to let u know. Next, a blue screen pops up saying "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." An the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME If this is the first time try it again blah blah i think u guys would know the rest bt plz i cant understand wat hard drive removal and that stuff is unless u tell me where i could find my hard drive on my Dell laptop Inspiron|1100 Windows XP and explain a resolution thoroughly thx.

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Unmountable boot volume can mean a lot of thing.

Do you have a win xp install cd, if you do, we might be able to fix this really quick per thrax's little tip
  • edited May 2006
    um i have the reinstallation CD and the Drivers, Utilities, and Applications CD
    edited May 2006
    Ok, Im gonna try and do this first. Actually, Ill just link you to the article, you will need you isntall cd handy, so that you can do the repair utility, and see if we cant get you fixed up. One second and a link should be posted.
    edited May 2006
    Ok, here it is, there is a little bit of filler material, but read it, print it off if need be, go through the steps, and report back here and let me know where you got. If that doesnt do anything, we will try a repair install.
  • edited May 2006
    ok thx ill try it
  • edited May 2006
    wait so basically im reinstalling becuz ur link's site didnt have my problem
    edited May 2006
    I know it didnt have your exact problem, but I want you to try it. It says unlountable boot volume. Their are a few things that can cause this, but I want to start with the easiest things to do first, then progress to the others. No need to rebuild an engine if it only needs a sparkplug.
  • edited May 2006
    well i inserted the reinstallation CD and the same process is going through to the blue screen
    edited May 2006
    it should boot to the cd, do you know how to go into the cmos and change the boot order?, if you do, tell it to boot to the CD first, sometimes it is listed as the D:/ drive.
  • edited May 2006
    ok i got all the way down to rebuild
    but then it says one of teh files is corrupted so do a chkdsk which i did
    now it says there is an inconvenience with the volume
  • edited May 2006
    Now wat?
  • edited May 2006
    so basically ya i think its booting but just to let u know im doing chkdsk again
    edited May 2006
    Juice Lee wrote:
    now it says there is an inconvenience with the volume

That is a new one on me. Try and do a full out repair install and see if you get anywhere, maybe thrax will come along and know a little more than me. The only time I've ever seen unmountable boot volume was when 1:the hard drive was dead, and 2: the drivers were corrupted.

But the only way you could install the drivers is if the driver disk was bootable such as a utility, and if it has that, it should have diagnostics for the drive, if your hdd disk has that, try it and see if it has anything like disk diagnostics or something similar. Just to see if it gives you any more insight on the problem.
  • edited May 2006
    i got as far as rebuilding the first option and now it works lol thx!!!!
  • edited May 2006
    do u know wat couldve caused this mess?
    edited May 2006
    windows does strange things, and we dont know what makes windows tick, we can only guess. My guess is that one of the boot files was corrupted, which is what I suspected it to be. anyway, glad that you are back up and running, feel free to stay around and talk, even if you dont know a whole lot, you'll learn a lot.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Wait, did my article help you fix the problem, or did you perform another repair? I'm having trouble following this thread.