conroe benchmark

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited June 2006 in Hardware
Sorry I dont know how many of you have seen this, but its new to me. It was out in march so its not brand new. Anyway sorry if its been posted before.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713&%20p=2

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Impressive benchmarks! I wonder if they'll be competitively or arrogantly priced?

So, this whole Conroe thing just popped up on my radar a couple of weeks ago. Am I correct in thinking that the Conroe is a dual-core Pentium M that's been adapted for desktop motherboards?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Saw this before... clock for clock faster than an AMD. Who'da thunk it?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Yeah I heard these marks were based in a Intel environment... Some recent marks have leaked and only give the new architecture a 8% to 20% increase in most benchmarks. But the FX62 with 1000Mhz ram beats all the marks that have been seen by the Conroe setups.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    What about the Conroe with 1000MHz memory as well?
    edited May 2006
    Most of those are running 1000mhz ram... as when they compared they we using the revision E chips from AMD that only supported 800Mhz. I thought it odd the Intel wouldn't llet anyone see the system setup.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    yea so theyre getting an unfair advantage. I want to see a benchmark with 100% identical systems of AMD and Intel that are comparable(with the exception of the motherboard). So the same ram, hd's, graphics card, ect....

too bad no one has one like this yet, or at least I havent seen any.
    edited June 2006
    I don't think the memory is solely responsible for the lead Conroe takes in the benchmarks. Plus, the Athlon is running 140mhz faster.
    edited June 2006
    If you look at AMD's chips they boost about 12% with the high memory and with a 200Mhz core they boost up another 8% to 12% making it inturn run faster than the conroe benchmarks. I don't think the FX62 was made to kill the conroe, but the FX64 will be a killer CPU :) The FX60 is still the fastest on the market with the FX 62 winnign a few marks.

I guess we will see once all these chips are in the open and tested by third and fourth party people.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    The recent test that I have seen show that AMD does not pick up more than a couple % going from 800 to 1000 on memory speed. That is not the bottleneck.

Conroe/Merom are very heavily revised from P-M. Much stronger math processor, which has been the big Intel weakness.

AMD had better gain some speed when the go to 65nm. They finally have some serious competition.
    edited June 2006
    AMD picks up the speed with a 200MHz boost and the higher memory...
    edited June 2006
    AMD picks up the speed with a 200MHz boost and the higher memory...

Are there benchmarks out there that show 1000Mhz DDR2 making the difference? Because the benchmark in the article in the first post has the AMD with a 140Mhz core advantage, and it's getting thumped, so I don't think a little more core speed will amount to much. I'm also not sure DDR2-667 is much faster than DDR-400, given the timings. Even if upcoming AMD chips are expected to be faster, there's a faster Conroe out there than what was benchmarked above, too.

Hey, I'm an AMD fanboy, but I'll give credit where credit is due. I'll still probably buy an Athlon 64, though, because Intel doesn't exactly have a reputation for being affordable.
    edited June 2006
    With Intel's new core architecture it spins everything around. AMD use to have a lower clock but can compete with Intel's higher clocks, now the tables are being turned, Intel’s new offerings will run faster at lower clocks and AMD's will be a bit higher. Comparing clock for clock on the CPU's is not a fair judgment, as AMD and Intel use different tech.

Now if you look at lemonlimes review on the AM2 5000+ it shows a huge leap in benchmarks once it is pushed only 200Mhz. now there were issues with the memory dividers but from other sources I have heard AMD's chips seem to like the 1000Mhz Ram.

But I will also say the Conroe will be a head turner and if Intel isn’t lying AMD will be playing catchup.