Can't Boot From CD Drive

JRW21JRW21 Dunlap, IL
edited June 2006 in Hardware
Hello all, i am having problems with a fresh install.
Brief summary: I had a secondary hdd on my main machine i used for storage. I decided to build a new machine with that drive (maxtor diamond plus 9 60gig). Before i removed the drive from the main machine i formatted the hard drive by right clicking in my computer and formatting.... From there i took it out of the main machine and installed it in my new machine.

When starting the new pc i changed the bios setting to boot from cd..put the xp cd in the drive and went to do a normal fresh xp install.. and came up with a "missing ntldr" message.

SO, i googled for some help and found many good sites.. i tried most of the ideas, made a few boot disks and nothing worked.

If anyone has experienced this problem could you help me out? I am out of ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Try Thrax's guide posted here: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313
  • JRW21JRW21 Dunlap, IL
    edited May 2006
    thanks for the quick response. Unfortunetly i can't even get the cd to boot up to get to the xp pro setup screen.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    (JRW21, I edited the thread title to more accurately reflect your situation. :) )

Things you might want to try to get the system to boot from the cdrom drive:

1) Make sure the disc is clean
    2) Try a different cdrom drive
    3) Watch the screen carefully when you turn the computer on - sometimes you have to press a key to enable cdrom boot
    4) With the cdrom drive as the first boot device, try setting the second, third, etc, boot devices to "disabled".

Give us some more specs on the system in question, MB, cdrom drive, etc.