Slow internet on cable

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Hardware
:rant: Okay, today has been an unusual day, first, I did not get to sleep in, bad start from the begging, then my antivirus acts up, so I fix it and scan with my million different antivirus/anti spyware software library that I have accumulated. Anyway, then I start downloading a torrent file, and then im going about my business on the internet, and guess what, system hangs for a second, then I am greeted by a BSOD, hmmm. Grr Ate!!! in the words of tony the tiger.

So anyway, I find out that my NIC is taking a crap on its self and fizzeling out, so I yank it, and enable the integrated Marvel Yukon Adapter that I was never realy crazy about in the first place, because it was a little flaky when I got it, so I just disabled it and put my trusty netgear in. Well, after Downloading updates for it numerous time through M$ updates, I guess its in a half working state now, because it is at least holding a connection. But ever since I pulled the NIC, and did a little switch a roo on the enabled/disabled devices, and have been running on the marvel adapter, my internet speeds have been SO SLOOOOWW. why? I have no Idea, but I was getting upwards of 4Mb/s, not I am getting 483Kb/s. WHAT!!! This adapter has to be the biggest pos I have ever seen. Why is it doing this? any ideas, Im about to take a hammer to it, because its enough to make a sane man go crazy to go from 4Mb/s to .5Mb/s, and the actual through put I was getting was much worse.

And slow speeds aside, I've been timing out all day long, I think that I've timed out on sm about 20 times alone. This adapter is useless.:sawed:

Comments

• AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited June 2006
    You have a Linksys router, correct? There is a problem with p2p programs and some of the Linksys firmwares that can cause your internet to die a slow and painful death. The timeout of each connection is set to 5 days and when you're connecting too all kinds of different people it starts to build up and kill your internet. I'd try rebooting your router to see if that fixes your problem.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Well, not useing p2p now, morpheus is gone. Ive restarted my computer, and my router, and my modem. And like I said, I wasnt having a problem until I had to switch to the marvel ethernet adapter that is integrated on my board.

I figured that it wouldnt be as good as my card, but seriously, can it really be this bad?
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited June 2006
    What board do you have? It shouldn't be that much of a difference, or at least you shouldn't be able to notice the difference while surfing the net. If you were transferring files on your LAN you might be able to see a notable difference. That's why I thought it was your router being bombarded with all those spare connections waiting to time out. What are you using to test your speeds? Maybe you should try some different speed tests and try it at different times of the day.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I used the broadbandplace, and dsl reports or what have ya.

I tested the connection right before I yanked the netgear nic, just to see how it was doing speed wise. but it was definately causing the problems, because I havent had any bsod's since. And after I switched and rebooted, bam, 1/10th of the bandwidth. Nothing I've tried has fixed it. but its okay, I'm fixing to buy THIS(any last minute comments before i placethe order?) ethernet adapter for my computer, seems to be a good one, I hope it is, I was tempted to buy one of the cheaper ones, but I have a strong belief in that you get what you pay for. but anyway, hopefully the new nic will remedy my problems in about 3 days.