Printer Problem: Red light district. Help.

edited June 2006 in Hardware
My Epson Printer - a Red Light districtHelp needed by EamonX1 (6/4/2006 6:29 AM) reply + / -
The Printer is an Epson Stylus C20SX. My OS system is Windows XP home.

Red Led Light appears exactly after 13 seconds.
What I have done:
I have checked for jammed paper.
I have replaced the Ink
I have checked the cable connecting to Computer.

Then I disconnected from the Computer and plugged in the Printer to the power supply. The same red light appears after 13 second.

Subsequently I did the following:
I checked all the cog wheels for improper action.
I disconnected the moving printer carriage from Printer Motor
I disconnected and reset all the internal connector stips and cables (with exception of the power connection).

However the Red light continues to appear exactly 13 seconds after startup, even with all internal connectors out and printer carriage disconnected.

What could be wrong? What should I try?

Comments

• CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited June 2006
    eamon,

I had a look at fixyourownprinter.com to have a look at the Epson C20SX, seems you beat me to it.:D

Have you tried the advice there and downloaded the Epson maintenance facility?

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be that the Epson counts the number of times that it does a print head clean. That waste ink has to go somewhere and it is absorbed by pads in the base of the printer. After a certain count, the printer will stop working until the counter is reset with the Epson maintenance software. You also need to recover the waste pads and clean or replace them.

My printer is a combined printer/scanner and it's a real drag to strip the thing right down to get at the pads. I simply intercepted the waste pipe from the print head pump and diverted it in to a small bottle at the back of the printer.
    I was staggered by how much ink is wasted every time the printer is turned on. :eek2:

I've now cut my losses and retired the Epson, bought a HP instead.

There was also a link on that site for a maintenance manual, might be worth following that. :D
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2006
    I've retired my Epson as well. It needed cleaning almost everytime I used it and was costing a small fortune in ink. I got a Lexmark AIO which, so far, is prooving a much better deal. Shame, my first Epson was brilliant but my second was rubbish. Not much help I know but there are better printers out there.
  • edited June 2006
    Thanks a million. Will try and will get back with results.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    There is an ink shop in town, and he says that epson printers arent what they used to be, he said right now, the canon printers are really nice. I have an Epson RX500 which was giving my trouble, but is working now, my next printer will probably be a canon.