Confused With Max RAM Capacity

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I been trying to upgrade my machine's RAM from the 386MB that it has installed to something like 1.5GB to more (like 3GB) but the thing is that I been searching around all over the net and the biggest RAM stick I can find for my model is like 0.5GB. I only have 3 slots with 2 of them filled making up for the 386MB. I went to Crucial.com and tried checking with them to see which type of RAM would be best for me, but my "exact" pc model isn't listed there, so I rounded down a serial number (similiar to my # model) and it recomended 1.5GB. The thing is that I also used their Crucial Scanner to determine what type of RAM and the results said MAX CAPACITY 3072MB. The question I have now is, can I, or would I be able to max out the RAM capacity to 3072MB or would I be limited to a 1.5GB?
If it helps, the 2 sticks I currently have installed are 1.) SDRAM PC133 128MB and the other is 2.) SDRAM PC133 256MB.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    We need more information.

What model is your PC, and more specifically, what motherboard do you have? If you don't know, we can help you check.
  • edited June 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    We need more information.

What model is your PC, and more specifically, what motherboard do you have? If you don't know, we can help you check.
    PC Model Is 5321SR and about the motherboard... I don't know
    edited June 2006
    The maximum capacity is 3, 1GB sticks of PC133.
  • edited June 2006
    Any suggestions on what to get? I mean, I'd buy the 3 1GB sticks but heck... I'm no Richie Rich, and I know they won't they cheap so for now I'm thinking maybe 1GB, I don't wanna get too exited with 3GB later and get a brain overload, since I been used to my 386MB for quite a while now.
    edited June 2006
    I personally feel that, on a system with SDRAM, it's pointless to get more than 1GB. I suggest two sticks of 512mb Crucial/Micron.
  • edited June 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    I personally feel that, on a system with SDRAM, it's pointless to get more than 1GB. I suggest two sticks of 512mb Crucial/Micron.
    If a ton of SDRAM is pointless, as I was once shooting for, then what would be recomendable to get instead, if I were to want to either upgrade or buy a new system without having to spend a lot. I've managed to upgrade my current RAM to 768 from the original 386, but still no big difference and I still want more. My current machine is a
    Compaq Presario
    XP SP2
    1.5GHz
    768MB
    (yes, I know, it's slow and old and I hate to see it suffer)
    It just isn't cutting it anymore. I wanted to upgrade the whole thing but I would have to do mobo upgrade and so on, and I figure I'll just get a new one instead, eventually.
  • edited July 2006
    Yeah, don't invest a whole bunch of money into upgrading ram on that machine. Instead buy or build a new machine.