Can't copy files to disc - get error message!

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Hi there, I'm having trouble with my CD/RW drive in regards to copying files to disc. I'm not sure if I am posting in the right section, but it is a bit of an emergency for me considering that the file I need to burn to disc is a promotional business flyer that I need to take to the print shop. I have a Dell dimension with windows XP, which came with a CD/DVD RW drive included. It has always worked perfectly until recently. Now, whenever I try to send a file, like a picture file, to the D drive an error message appears that says "D:/ is not accessible, incorrect function". The same message appears anytime I try to open the drive directly also (ie. by accessing the D:/ folder through My Computer). Oddly enough, I have no trouble playing music cd's or any other discs, or downloading files from them. I can even burn music cd's with no trouble (provided I do it without trying to send the music files to the drive directly). By all appearences the drive seems to be working fine including the burner except that it won't let me send picture files like JPEG's to the D drive to be burned. I contacted Dell and the only advice they offered was to run a diagnostic which requires running a disc that just happens to be packed away at the moment (I just moved across state). I need to have this flyer printed ASAP, so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Iain

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Does this help you?
  • edited June 2006
    The first time I read your response I didn't realize you had posted a link under "this", so all I read was "does this help you?" followed by your rock into mordor picture. I was like, no, that really doesn't help actually :rolleyes2 Of course then I realized you had posted a link, so its all good :bigggrin: And yes, it does help, except for the fact that roxio won't let me download the updates I need - I guess because my version came with my computer, so I don't have a TSID # to register my product and get updates. :grumble: So, in that case should I just uninstall my roxio so that I can use my burner again, or what would your advice be? The one thing I don't understand is that I do have roxio 5.0, which is supported by windows xp, and I've never had a problem with it before. Anyway, just let me know what you think I should do. Thanks for the help! I got a good laugh out of your Boramir picture by the way :rockon: :bigggrin:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    Just to get you going for now, try using SilentNight Micro. It's free, plus it's a standalone program, meaning you don't have to install anything.

It'll also be useful in telling us that the drive hasn't developed some sort of a glitch, perhaps making it a little easier for us to help you figure out what went wrong with your current program.

Good luck. :cheers:

PS: I'm cracking up over the "rock into mordor" incident. ;D