eBay Question - What am I missing here???

RockrzRockrz I'm right here!
edited June 2006 in Internet & Media
Please forgive if this is posted in the wrong place.
I didn't really see anywhere else to post this question.

I'm proficient in HTML coding, and I'm trying to sell something on eBay.
So, I figured I would make a nice looking setup that looks professional using some HTML.

Problem is, I can't see how to post HTML coding in my eBay ad!
I contacted their support, and the guy emailed me with the standard "click the HTML radio button, and if that doesn't work, clear your cache and cookies and start all over"

Well, I tried that and still can't get their system to accept my HTML in the ad I'm trying to post.
I've done it before, so I know it can be done not to mention there are tons of ads on eBay using HTML.

Here's the HTML radio button I've been clicking:
Z
TEMP--PIC__Gif.gif
But, everytime it keeps saying I didn't put anything in the description section.
If I put in plain text, it accepts it with no problem.

I know I've got to be missing somthing simple here.
Any ideas you fellas could bounce off of me would be appreciated. :(

Thanks!

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2006
    What browser are you using? And are you using some seller tool thing?

I have to use IE for eBay selling because the buttons (Bold, Underline, etc) and the Tabs to switch from that to raw HTML don't show up in Firefox. I went to that step on eBay Selling and mine looks like this:
    ebay0xv.jpg

I usually just type in my text in the first tab, then add pictures/thumbnail links in the HTML tab.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited June 2006
    I've never seen that "HTML mode" checkbox. I always just paste my HTML in the description textbox, hit preview, and if everything looks good I move on to the next step. Are you putting your HTML code within the
    < ! - - and -  - >

tags?
  • RockrzRockrz I'm right here!
    edited June 2006
    I've tried it in both IE and Firefox
    Nosferatu wrote:
    I've never seen that "HTML mode" checkbox. I always just paste my HTML in the description textbox, hit preview, and if everything looks good I move on to the next step. Are you putting your HTML code within the
    < ! - - and -  - >

tags?
    Yes, I do like to use dividers like that in my coding to help me know where things are. I'll try it without them and see what happens.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Well besides the fact that that is a check box and not a radio button but yea...
    :)
    edited June 2006
    Well besides the fact that that is a check box and not a radio button but yea...
    Well, I may have called it the wrong thing, but I've tried it with and without it being checked.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    :)

Nitpicker...
    edited June 2006
    CB Droege wrote:
    Nitpicker...
    :rockon:
    edited June 2006
    Rockrz wrote:
    Yes, I do like to use dividers like that in my coding to help me know where things are. I'll try it without them and see what happens.
    lol those "dividers" are used to make hidden notes and such in HTML. Definitely type OUTSIDE of those and you should suddenly see it work.
    edited June 2006
    Well, there's alot of stuff I do in HTML coding that I have no idea what they call 'em, but I can still use 'em. So, I usually just call 'em "dohickys", "thing-a-ma-jigs", etc.:-/

It's more like a shade tree operation goin on over here...:hiding:
    But, surprisingly, I get along pretty good!
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited June 2006
    Did it fix your problem putting the HTML code outside the comment tags?
    edited June 2006
    No, but I went on a live chat with eBay support and found out that I was using the advance form, and they recommended that I switch to the standard form.

The standard form does allow me to use their WYSIWYG editor, which I'll have to settle for because I get errors when I paste in my code.

When I paste in my code, I get errors such as "no base href allowed", which I need for the images in my listing that I'm hosting from one of my websites.

Anyway, I guess I'll have to settle for their WYSIWYG editor.
    I remeber back in the day when you could just paste in your own code.

Looks like their system doesn't allow that anymore:bs:
    edited June 2006
    Umm... again I ask - are you using some Seller Tool or something you pay for to make listings? You must be. I don't pay for anything like that - I just use the standard stuff, pay a listing fee, final value fee, and be done. I paste in plain ole HTML all the time - and I just looked at it yesterday and it looks the exact same to me that it has for the 4 years or so I've been listing things on eBay.
    edited June 2006
    I paste in plain ole HTML all the time
    In my original post, that's what I said I was trying to do...is use my html and paste it in.

That's the problem...the eBay system won't allow me to do that for some reason. NO, I'm not using any service or software to list. If I were, I would have brought that into the discussion because it would have been important to know.

Recently, I have learned from eBay support that they recommend using the standard form when listing as opposed to using their advanced form.

Using the standard form, I can paste in my html but now it's giving me an error saying that I cannot have any "base href", which is probably a reference to a link I have to a website, and/or the graphics URL to some graphics I'm using that are hosted at one of my sites.

I listed a VHS Video a few months ago and I simply pasted my html in and it was no problem.
    edited June 2006
    Well I can't help you anymore - you've gotta be doin something wrong. My screenshot looks nothing like yours, so we're differing somewhere.
    edited June 2006
    Yep, it's all my fault!

Besides, your screen shot looks like it's from a mac, right?
    And, I've been able to get it to work recently...just not as good as I wanted.
    edited June 2006
    Rockrz wrote:
    Yep, it's all my fault!

Besides, your screen shot looks like it's from a mac, right?
    And, I've been able to get it to work recently...just not as good as I wanted.
    I didn't mean to be harsh - I just think you might be overlooking something, or still typing inside the comment tags maybe.

No I'm on a PC running XP.
    edited June 2006
    I just think you might be overlooking something
    That was the purpose of my initial post
    edited June 2006
    Can you go to that eBay page and take a screenshot of the FULL screen?