Installing Windows Operating System NOT COMPLETE

edited June 2006 in Hardware
My laptop crashed. When I turn it on, it does not boot properly.

So I decided to reinstall Windows Operating System. It goes thru the process of installing, but it does NOT COMPLETE installation. It just restart itself and prompts me to Install AGAIN.

I decided to try the WINDOWS XP RECOVERY CONSOLE PROCESS. Right now, it is still at the C:\>CHKDSK /R/F process at 64% complete.

Hopefully, this works. ANY IDEAS? HELP, I have no life without my laptop.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    It's either hard drive related or it could be bad memory. Try memtest86
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2006
    Daft question but, when it restarts does it say something about 'Boot from CD' and/or 'Press any key to continue'? Do not press a key, just leave it to continue on its own.
    (blush mode) I know this because I have done it (forgetful mode) and it restarts the install from the begining again.
  • edited June 2006
    still not working
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    What did the test results give you?
  • edited June 2006
    bothered wrote:
    Daft question but, when it restarts does it say something about 'Boot from CD' and/or 'Press any key to continue'? Do not press a key, just leave it to continue on its own.
    (blush mode) I know this because I have done it (forgetful mode) and it restarts the install from the begining again.

Yes it does. when it restarts without a boot disc in the disc drive it prompts me that. if i leave it alone it does not continue on its own.
  • edited June 2006
    I've had similar problems with one of my laptops. I don't like to plug products, but something I have had to do (I messed with partitions on my harddrive) is rebuild my MBR. I have purchased and successfully used a product named PC Builder. I then used the startup disc (purchased at the shopaveratec website to reinstall all of my original stuff). Another option is to try a linux distro. So far, either MEPIS or UBUNTU (both free, you just have to download and burn the ISO file as an image yourself) have worked the best. Good luck.