Windows Dialer and a 56K Modem. Help!

DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
edited October 2003 in Science & Tech
I want to use my computer to answer phone calls.

I recently bought a used 56K modem for $5. I'm trying to get it to work using Windows Dialer on XP Professional.

But here's the problem.

When my comp calls someone, we connect, yet can't hear each other at all.

When my comp gets called, my comp can talk to them, yet not hear what they are saying.

So my question, anyone know what I can do? Are there any better programs out there than Dialer? How do I get my modem to use the Computer's speakers? I really only need to be able to answer calls on my Comp. Not make them.

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited October 2003
    on many sound cards there is a pass through for modems, it uses a cable just like the ones that run from the cdrom to sound card, this provides the voice pass through using the modem.

What type of modem is it.... make and model and I can look it up and see if it capable of doing what you want it to do...

Gobbles
  • DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
    edited October 2003
    The modem doesn't seem to have and plug for a Pass-Through.

It has a speaker and mic jack on the back, but I still cant hear anything, even with the speakers plugged into it.

The modem says:
    LCT 0158
    LinkCom
    edited October 2003
    are the transformer numbers... if it installed into the OS properly then you should be able to check the device manager and see who actually made the modem. If I can find out the manufacturer I can create a walk through for you to follow to make it work. Check the device manager in windows and see what it says is installed for the modem.

Gobbles
  • DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
    edited October 2003
    Intel 536EP
    edited October 2003
    I pull the spec sheet for that modem chipset.. It is capable.
    Ill see what I can come up with..

Gob
    edited October 2003
    I know it lists intel as the modem, but does it list the modem audio under the sound controller section, it should also list some kinda sound input device as well. Usually it installs 3 or 4 items. Need to verify that those installed. Take a screen shot of your device manager with modem, and sound sections expanded and post it or just dictate what it says, but a screen is easier...

Gobbles