Anyone know what REALLY happened at Icrontic?

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited June 2003 in Community
Icrontic crashed due to a hack, no question there. Weird thing was, Mortin, without warning, sold the domain name (not a gripe, his site, he can do what he wants with it!).

The site, and all it's members, were cast aside with really no explanation as to why the site was being sold or why Mortin was abandoning it. :banghead:

Has anyone heard a definitive answer from Mortin as to why he did what he did? I'm not bitchin' at or about him, I'm mostly nosy, I mean curious. :D

Comments

• paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited June 2003
    Yea, its kinda funny that through this whole ordeal us orphaned Icrontic members have not seen hide nor hair of Mortin. You would figure he would have shown up at some point to give some kind of official statement or to at least visit in and congratulate the Short-Media team on the website. :scratch:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    it wasn't locally hacked - the thing was hosted in a datacenter at rackshack.

Mortin has probably been around, but he was never very communicative in the last year or so anyway. He probably is of the same mind as many people: "just let the whole thing die"... I sort of agree, but I also agree with you that it would be cool to at least hear a "good work" or something.
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    If he's like me, I could definately see how it might have happened. Sometimes when things suddenly go really bad with hardware/software for me, I just hit power in disgust and go away for a while (sometimes a long while). Several people had stated that he had only been keeping icrontic going for a long time just for the members, so this may have just been the final straw before he "threw down the controller and said f* this $h!+", so to speak.
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited June 2003
    I have friends who host at rackshack and I warned them of this.

That's one of the problems of hosting at a place like that - you're responsible for securing your own server, doing your own backups, etc. If you don't know what you're doing, you can get screwed.

Mind if I ask if it was a Windows server or a *nix server?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    It was redhat 7.3 stock
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2003
    MarkTAW said
    I have friends who host at rackshack and I warned them of this.

That's one of the problems of hosting at a place like that - you're responsible for securing your own server, doing your own backups, etc. If you don't know what you're doing, you can get screwed.

Mind if I ask if it was a Windows server or a *nix server?

You should be responsible for securing your own server anyway, even if the company that hosts your box claims to secure its network.

You can get screwed even if you do know what you're doing . . . fixes for exploits aren't always updated *before* many servers have been attacked.

I will give you, though, that remote administration is more difficult than if the box is sitting in front of you, even if it's still just typing . . . somehow it just feels better when you can reach out and touch the machine.

Sometimes the intangibles are tangible.
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, the biggest variable is the admin.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    I will give you, though, that remote administration is more difficult than if the box is sitting in front of you, even if it's still just typing . . . somehow it just feels better when you can reach out and touch the machine.

Thats just an illusion. Linux administration local or remote has no matter. If I was to open any application locally or remotely, even GUI, and ask you which was which, you wouldn't know.