A Lossless Ordinary? @ Trusted Reviews

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Science & Tech
Music playback is undergoing a massive revolution at the moment, according to Trusted Reviews.
Not since the advent of digital when Compact Disc replaced vinyl has the music industry been in such turmoil, and the effect that illegal download websites and the device that brought it all to the masses – Apple’s iPod – have had is well documented. But it’s not just portable and PC-based music feeling the heat of change.
Source: Trusted Reviews

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    Lossless is still just flat-out too big. For someone who carries only their 2gb Rio around, APS mp3s are perfect.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    One of the nice parts about having lossless is that it's more versatile. With mp3s all you can do is listen to it on your portable or heaven-forbid your PC. With lossless, I can make CD-quality mix CD's, encode to MP3 or AAC or some other lossy format for my portable, listen on my PC at full quality without popping CD's in and out, and still maintain a full-quality master.

Also, with the advent of perpendicular recording and high-capacity 1.8" drives your next generation portables will be able to store more lossless than you'll be able to listen to in a week.

-drasnor :fold: