Daemon Tools Removed normal CD drive!!

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Ahhh!! help! i love the people here at short media, you guys are so much help.

Last week, i was at a friends house, and i told him about Daemon Tools and installed it for him. During the installation, there were messages about unsigned drivers or something during the installation. I desregarded the messages and continued installing. Towards the end of installation, after the restart, the installation was unsuccessful, and i uninstalled the non-working Daemon Tools.

Here is the problem: After uninstalling it, there was no extra CD drive, AND THERE NO LONGER WAS THE NORMAL CD DRIVE. If it was my computer i would try something on my own, but IT'S MY FRIEND'S COMPUTER !! :doh: We tried running a program that requires a CD (Warcraft III) and it would say, the CD is missing. No CD would work, and i've tried a couple things:

1. System Restore, it removed all traces of Daemon Tools, but the original CD drive was still missing.
2. Checked the device manager, and found the CD drive with an Error. "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)" and so i tried the recommended resolution found on: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123 and the problem then became: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)."

So thanks for your time in reading this, please be urgent! good luck and THANKS!!

Comments

• V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited June 2006
    al3xchung wrote:
    Ahhh!! help! i love the people here at short media, you guys are so much help.

Last week, i was at a friends house, and i told him about Daemon Tools and installed it for him. During the installation, there were messages about unsigned drivers or something during the installation. I desregarded the messages and continued installing. Towards the end of installation, after the restart, the installation was unsuccessful, and i uninstalled the non-working Daemon Tools.

Here is the problem: After uninstalling it, there was no extra CD drive, AND THERE NO LONGER WAS THE NORMAL CD DRIVE. If it was my computer i would try something on my own, but IT'S MY FRIEND'S COMPUTER !! :doh: We tried running a program that requires a CD (Warcraft III) and it would say, the CD is missing. No CD would work, and i've tried a couple things:

1. System Restore, it removed all traces of Daemon Tools, but the original CD drive was still missing.
    2. Checked the device manager, and found the CD drive with an Error. "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)" and so i tried the recommended resolution found on: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123 and the problem then became: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)."

So thanks for your time in reading this, please be urgent! good luck and THANKS!!
    Don't have time, driving to south carolina, but right click on the taskbar icon for daemon tools, and find an option to change the drive letter and change it to something that isn't being used already.
  • edited June 2006
    noo, not that, :(

the original D drive is gone, the daemon drive was set as E
  • edited June 2006
    anyone help? i still have the problem, no solution has been found yet
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I've not seen this problem before, but here's something random that might work:

1 - remove the device from device manager
    2 - turn off the computer
    3 - unplug the CD-ROM from the data and power cables
    4 - start up the computer
    5 - turn off the computer
    6 - plug CD-ROM back in
    7 - start up the computer
    8 - see if Windows identifies it correctly

If that doesn't work, maybe do the same thing, but plug the CD-ROM into a different port. (if it's master on the secondary channel, try setting it to slave on the primary channel with the hard drive)

I'm just guessing random stuff, but the idea is to spur Windows into loading the right drivers. Hopefully someone else has seen this before and has more suggestions :D

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edit - Also, is this computer running Windows XP Professional? Because the Disk Manager might be good to check out. Maybe the drive just needs a letter mapped to it.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Try this:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Curretcontrolset/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    4. On the File menu, click Export.
    5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save. (This is to save a backup of the registry entries you're about to change.)
    6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes. NOTE: If this data type is missing, continue to the next step.
    7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    8. Quit the Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

If everything is working properly, you can throw your reg backup away. :)

Just want to throw the typical disclaimer in:

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

See if that fixes your problem. :)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Ok, someones sig/av or post in this thread is causing it to crash FireFox on my Windows machine (latest version of FF). It does it the moment I page down from the first post.
    edited June 2006
    Probably SCAR. He has that gigantic Flash sig. :)
  • edited June 2006
    Woahh sorry for the last response, but Cyclonite was CORRECT!!! i love you all for the help but wow, Cyclonite, you were right on it, ahahah. thanks so much mann.. :)
    edited June 2006
    Hehe. No problem. It's generally a problem caused by Roxio Easy CD Creator, but it felt too familiar. I figured it was worth a shot. I'm glad you're back up and running. :)