Convergence + downloading

edited June 2006 in Hardware
I am currently doing a project on convergence and interactivity with the user, researching the way this has effected internet downloading. I understand convergence basically means the 'coming together' from different companies. But i'm having problems trying to find out how exactly convergence would apply to internet downloading.

What do you think it could mean?

Thanks

bahareh

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Well, for our purposes, "convergence" is more along the lines of the convergence of computing technologies with other types of solutions, and the integration of convergence with daily life. HTPCs, PocketOS phones, etc. I guess you could consider Xbox live a convergence type app, for the purposes of your project.
  • edited June 2006
    Hi thanks for your reply.

I was just looking at p2p programs namely Kazaa. I found now they are incorporating an online phone like skype aswell as a feature to promote your blog, which is extremely popular!! and the opportunity to share music you have made...which is similar to myspace.

Could this be classed as convergence?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Kazaa is full of spyware, and I wouldnt have it on my computer. and a blog is a type of convergence, because it is bringing your daily activites and the internet together for an online diary persay.

Our definition of convergence is any item, or piece of software, that brings daily life and computers together. Such as a media center pc. it brings the purpose that many things would serve into one compact computer.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited June 2006
    As everyone else has said, from the point of view of this forum Convergence is using computers to do soemthing you wouldn't traditionally associate with computers.... a media centre being the most obvious.

Having said that, you could broaden the scope of 'Convergence' to include applications that cover a variety of purposes. Your Kazaa / Skype example is a good one, you might also want to look at Google, who as well as search services now offer Maps, Videos, A technical drawing application, Email and various other things. This seems to be the perfect example of convergence. Another might be Myspace. As well as hitting on barely legal emo chicks, you can also browse music on Myspace (so I've heard...from a friend..)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Microsoft's live office collaboration features.
    Webcams.
    Online calendars.
    Digital post-it notes.
    Video on demand.
    VoIP.
    HTPCs.
    Blogging.
    Podcasting.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I think one way of thinking about downloading and convergence is to consider how the Internet giants (MS, Yahoo, and Google) are bringing together so many disparate services under their respective roofs and making them available for download. What does SketchUp (Google) or Flckr (Yahoo) have to do with searching? I think they each have broader strategies relating to convergence that the public isn't totally cognisant of yet.