Big Confusing Problem--HELP

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys,

Newbie here. I was googling my problem and found your site. It seemed very informative so I decided to see if you could help me. This will be long because of how weird the situation is.

I was updating mine and my moms computer to XP. Well, updating hers, and reformatting and fixing mine. Our computers are almost identical. I have a HP xe783 she has a xe793. My bois is 4.06 revision 2.10 hers is 4.06 rev. 2.03.
I hooked my hard drive up to hers as a slave and saved valuable data to hers. After I got mine reformatted I hooked back up and transferred it back to mine. I did the same thing with her hard drive. Except with hers I went ahead and did the fdisk, reformat, and XP install. I did this while the hd was installed as a primary in my computer (I know dumb move). Well while hers was opened up she sprayed it out with canned air because it was extremely filthy(may or may not be related, you decide). The software install was a pain but I finally got it to take. I tested it out and it was working fine on my computer. When I installed the hd back into her computer and all I got was a screen with a flashing prompt. Was told the jumper might still be set to slave, which it wasn't, but I tried moving it anyways just for kicks to see what happened. And according to what position it was in I would get different problems.
  • Jumper 1-Nothing-Flashing prompt
  • Jumper 2-Nothing-flashing prompt(this jumper worked in my computer could do fdisk and format)
  • Jumper 3-drive c does not contain a valid fat or fat 32 partition run fdisk.(tried to run fdisk and got --no fixed disk found
then I would get no operating system found. No matter what I do I cannot get this thing to work in her computer. I get numerous errors according to where the jumper is placed. Sometimes the floppy will work and sometimes not according to where the jumper is at. The hd works fine in mine. So I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about what is causing the problem? I checked all cables and unhooked and hooked them back up. I am inclined to think a mother board problem the the computer worked up until I tried to upgrade it for her. Did it have something to do with the dirt getting blown around, or being used as a slave to transfer data? I have been working on this for 2 days and am desperate to get it fixed.

Thanks

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Boot from the XP CD with your moms drive in her machine and see if XP Setup detects the drive...
  • edited June 2006
    Nope, just the flashing prompt. Same thing with ME and the startup disk.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    What exactly does this flashing prompt say? Have you set the CD-ROM to boot in the BIOS?