Help...Shell Manager database?

edited November 2006 in Hardware
:confused: I keep getting an error message saying that the shell manager database is corrupt or missing and I have no idea how to fix the problem. Also when I try to use some of my programs they will open and then when I try to do something on them they come up as not responding and I have to shut them down.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Erm, little short on info here...

What OS are you using? (what patches or service packs?) What are your PCs components? What are you doing when you get this error? What program does it relate to?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Yeh, get us some more info and we can help you. Are you posting from a shell gas station if so, that is pretty awesome. Cause wouldnt this be our first troubleshooting from a gas station and a commercial entity?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    The Shell Manager database has nothing to do with gasoline or tire rotation. ;)
  • edited June 2006
    profdlp wrote:

Thanks for the link I will try what they are saying there. :)
  • edited June 2006
    Penny wrote:
    Thanks for the link I will try what they are saying there. :)

Okay, so that fixed my database problem, now I am curious how to get my programs to run. The main program that I am having an issue with (not responding) is Movie Clone 3. It never works for very long. I also have a problem with DVD shrink, MSN Messanger and various other programs that stop responding from time to time, where I never had a problem before. I realize you may need more info and fi you could just tell me what you need and where to find it, as I am almost comletely computer illiterate, I would really appriciate your help.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    profdlp wrote:

hah hah, lol. Can you tell I was tired like I am every day I get off of work. I saw shell, and manager, and was like "GASOLINE!!":p
    edited June 2006
    The first thing would be to follow Enverex' advice and post your computer specs. A program like the Belarc Advisor is handy for finding out what's under the hood. The most important things to cover would be the Motherboard, Memory, Hard Drive, Video Card, and Processor.

When your programs stop responding, does that meant that the whole computer freezes and you need to hit the reset button? Or can you close the unresponsive ones and keep going? Do you get any error messages at all?

Running Memtest-86 would be a good idea, as would the diagnostic program from the hard drive manufacturer.

You might also want to post a HijackThis log. It's possible that you have something sneaky running behind your back. :)
  • edited June 2006
    Okay so here are the specs for my computer....

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Compaq Presario 061 DK396A-ABA S4220NX NA210 0nB1411RE101CROSS10

Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    2.13 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6390 3.0

Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.09 07/01/2003
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    120.05 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    92.21 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HP DVD Writer 300n [CD-ROM drive]
    SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

SAMSUNG SV1203N [Hard drive] (120.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S01CJ10W793424, rev TQ100-23, SMART Status: Healthy 480 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A1' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 120.05 GB 92.21 GB free

Network Drives
    None detected
    Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
    Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account hp psc 1200 series on USB001

Controllers Display
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR [Display adapter]
    NUL 17.1 [Monitor] (17.1"vis, August 2002)

And when a program doesnt respond I am getting no error message just at the top of the program it says (not responding) and then I have to end program. Just the program most of the time, some of the time I have to turn the whole computer off. And when I tryed to run the mem test and the hijackthis log i got an error message saying the compressed folder is invalid or corrupted.
  • edited June 2006
    I got the Hijackthis to work and here is the log...still can't get the mem test tho...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 2:19:56 PM, on 14/06/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\LTMSG.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\CleanMyPC\Registry Cleaner\RCScheduler.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\backWeb-7288971.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkCalRem.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\CDANTSRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Documents and Settings\penny\My Documents\My Received Files\hijackthis_199\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp/defaults/su/*http://www.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTPreset] VTPreset.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTMSG] LTMSG.exe 7
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Registry Cleaner Scheduler] "C:\Program Files\CleanMyPC\Registry Cleaner\RCScheduler.exe" /startup
    O4 - Startup: wkcalrem.LNK = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkCalRem.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\backWeb-7288971.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/chat/applet/v45/yacscom.cab
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinst20040510.cab
    O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.com//PhotoUpload/MsnPUpld.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1138394441343
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1140165288796
    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
    O16 - DPF: {F58E1CEF-A068-4C15-BA5E-587CAF3EE8C6} (MSN Chat Control 4.5) - http://chat.msn.com/controls/msnchat45.cab
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: C-DillaSrv - C-Dilla Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\CDANTSRV.EXE
    O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
    O23 - Service: ScsiAccess - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE
    edited June 2006
    Try these:

Hard Drive test utility.

HijackThis

Memtest-86

The HD test and Memtest need to be added to a bootable disc and run from there. Don't remove anything with HijackThis yet - most of what it finds are good (if not necessary) things. Just post a copy of the log it makes after you run it.

The goal here is to check two of the most likely hardware-related causes of problems like you're having, plus make sure that you don't have any sneaky programs running in the background which may be messing things up. :)
    edited June 2006
    Other than this one:
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

I don't see anything overtly bad in your log. You do have quite a few unnecessary programs running, which might be conflicting with other programs.

For right now, I'd recommend going ahead and making sure that your HD and Memory are OK, then moving on to other things. :)
  • edited June 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Try these:

Hard Drive test utility.

HijackThis

Memtest-86

The HD test and Memtest need to be added to a bootable disc and run from there. Don't remove anything with HijackThis yet - most of what it finds are good (if not necessary) things. Just post a copy of the log it makes after you run it.

The goal here is to check two of the most likely hardware-related causes of problems like you're having, plus make sure that you don't have any sneaky programs running in the background which may be messing things up. :)

Okay so when I try to add them to a bootable disc internet explorer stops running and says not responding and shuts down everything(except the computer) and then I have to start over. Has happened 3 times. So I am at a loss as to what to do...Maybe throw the computer out the window? :grr:
    edited June 2006
    Try installing Startup Inspector, then use it to temporarily kill any of the startup programs which you don't absolutely need. Leave anything to do with CD burning alone, and don't disable your AVG.

Reboot and see if that makes a difference.

What is listed on the Power Supply for the following items?

12V+
    5V+
    3.3V+

You'll need to take the side off of the computer to find this.
  • edited June 2006
    12V+=14A
    5V+=25A
    3.3V+=18A
    Still cant get the mem test and the hard drive utility to work...could you please explain in great detail how to use them so i can see what i am doing wrong or if my computer is just completely screwed...
    edited June 2006
    Penny wrote:
    12V+=14A
    5V+=25A
    3.3V+=18A
    Those values are definitely on the low side. While I wouldn't recommend that you run right out and buy a new PSU just yet, I would not be the least bit surprised if your problem is right there. Do you know anyone who might loan you a spare PSU for troubleshooting purposes?
    Still cant get the mem test and the hard drive utility to work...could you please explain in great detail how to use them so i can see what i am doing wrong or if my computer is just completely screwed...
    Try this program for the Hard Drive: SP1203N HUTIL (ver.1.0)

Memtest will make its own bootable floppy disk. Just unzip the file, then double-click Install.bat, then go from there.

Unzip it, making two files.

What you need to do is to make a bootable floppy disk:

1) Put a blank disk in the drive
    2) Open Windows Explorer and right-click on the floppy drive
    3) Left-click on "Format"
    4) Check the box marked "Make System Disk" and make the disk

Then take the two files you unzipped from the Samsung download and copy them to the floppy disk. Go into the BIOS and make sure that the floppy drive is set as the first boot device, then restart the computer with the floppy you have made in the drive. Once you boot to an A: prompt (A:\ ) type in HUTIL.EXE and hit enter. Then follow the instructions on the screen.
  • edited November 2006
    Penny wrote:
    :confused: I keep getting an error message saying that the shell manager database is corrupt or missing and I have no idea how to fix the problem. Also when I try to use some of my programs they will open and then when I try to do something on them they come up as not responding and I have to shut them down.