help with coolbits

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited June 2006 in Hardware
hey, I was planning on OC'ing my GO 7900GS just a little bit so I unlocked coolbits. When i opened it up i noticed the temperature was unusuably high (about 70*C) so i thought maybe it was just a bad driver install or it wasnt reading right or something. I uninstalled/reinstalled the 9131 drivers and it worked fine. I had to re-unlock coolbits in the registry editor and it seemed to go alright. I restarted, opened up coolbits and the temperature monitor wasnt there, but the clockspeed adjustments were. Since I couldn't monitor the temperatures i downloaded ATI tool and it seems to be working fine (my idle gpu temp is about 60*).

Ok now the strange thing is when I had the temperature monitor appearing in coolbits originally it showed the gpu threshold at 102*C which seems incredibly high. I know laptops run hotter than desktops, but that still seems way too high. I couldnt adjust the threshold, so I'm assuming its hardcoded in there by the guys at nvidia. I decided to overclock just a little bit because i can now monitor with ati tool, so I tried it, but for some reason the clock speeds wont stay when I close the window. I set the speeds, click apply, and ok. Then when I go back into that menu the clock speeds are back at the defaults. I dont know if those are also hardcoded and not meant to be touched. I dont think im going to anyway knowing that it runs pretty hot.

All I want to do is get the temperature monitor working again in coolbits and figure out why I cant change the clockspeeds. This is my first nvidia gpu so I have no previous experience with coolbits. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? sorry for the long paragraphs, i just wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    sounds like another ruff night! try unistalling all the Nvidia drivers and start back with the stock drivers that came with it. than install coolbits...if the temp monitor isthere move up to the next drivers, and re do the coolbit hack. keep doing this until you find the issue. I bet it is a 91.31 driver issue.

To note my Nvidia 7400 Go's threshold is 115C and the 7900 Go is 123C
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2006
    Any thoughts on why it wont let me keep the raised clock speeds?

edit - I just uninstalled the 9131 drivers, and used the ones that came on the disc with my computer. I enabled coolbits and it still isn't showing the temperature, and the clockspeeds still go back to default when I bump them up. Since I cant get it working do you think it would be alright to use ATI tool?

edit #2 - I just tried to OC with ati tool and its doing the exact same thing as coolbits. When I set the new clockspeed it just resets it back to default. I guess dell/nvidia really doesnt want anyone messing with the speeds.
    edited June 2006
    Did you click the box thats say keep these settings? also are you clicking apply after optimizing?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2006
    The only box to click says apply settings at startup, and I do click it. I guess it just wont let me.
    edited June 2006
    Dose your graphics card show a temp setting without the coolbits hack?
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited June 2006
    Honestly, I dislike Coolbits because it's tests fail when they technically should pass.

Try using Powerstrip. It's much better in my opinion and alot more versatile then Coolbits.