Okia 450w Power Supply Good?

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Well I bought an Okia 450w power supply brand new off ebay. I think i may have made a mistake in many ways. I just got a new geforce 6200 and i needed a bigger power supply. I found this on ebay for a reasonable price and looked at the short reviews here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1648064&Tab=11&NoMapp=0

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about these power supplies spiking or anything that would make me not want to put this in my computer.

I am also wondering if its possible to over power my system with this power supply:

duron 1.6ghz cpu
msi micro-atx mobo
256x2 ram
52x max cd-rom
floppy drive of unknown make
20 gb fireball HD(i kno i need more space)
And now a PNY verto GF6200 128mb

If any additional info is needed to help me ask and please don't flame my crappy computer...

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I would not, not, not recommend that power supply. It looks like a total piece of crap. A power supply is something you do NOT want to skimp on. Use a trusted name brand:

Antec
    OCZ
    PC Power&Cooling
    FSP

I'm sure others will pipe in with their favorite PSUs, but I think everyone will say NO to that one.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I can count on one hand the number of times a PSU with an unrecognizable brand-name has done anything positive for anyone. Avoid that PSU like the plague.
  • edited June 2006
    Ya i figured i was gonna hear this. I think those reviews sound fony anyway. Thanks for the tip. With my setup how big of a power supply should i get?

Will the okia be ok for a few weeks?
    edited June 2006
    I'd recommend a 420w power supply. Your system only needs 250w max, but it's good to have some headroom if you ever want to upgrade, and the price is good on the 420s.
  • edited June 2006
    Yes i have a 280w power supply right now. I put the video card in and the driver disk in and the rom spun for like 2 seconds and slowed down like it needed more power. Maybe i connected sumthing wrong but i really doubt it. On the side of the gf6200 box it says that the system requirement for power supply is 300. LMK
    edited June 2006
    The PSU suggestion on the box is indicative of the card being used in a more modern system which your computer is not. Your PC has very low power requirements due to the age and scarcity of components.

As for ROMs, they vary their speed all the time. Most ROMs start at max RPMs and then throttle down.
  • edited June 2006
    Sorry i didnt kno that u would come back to this thread againand i sent u a pm seconds before looking back at this thread.

Well i think i am going to try the video card again. I am gonna pray a little. Then put the CD in. I believe the power supply is a decent make. My mom took the computer to a shop a while back when it was messed up. They put a new power supply in so i am hoping that they put a good non-crap one in. I will post again if the setup is what i think is a failure.
    edited June 2006
    Most shops do not install good PSUs, frankly. If it's a poor 280w PSU, it won't meet the power requirements even though it says it will.
  • edited June 2006
    well its powering the new card. I went back to the ebay page where it was posted. It says that its brand new. The card is not brand new at all. There is a visable amt of dust under the fan. I told him that i am disapointd and that i want my money back. I hope he will do so.

What do u think i should do?