Worried Newbie - External Hard Drive Questions

edited June 2006 in Hardware
I purchased an external hard drive/dvd rom enclosure last year and have been used a 160GB Western Digital hard drive until the external stopped working.

I recently purchased a new external hard drive enclosure, a Super Slim 3.5" Aluminum one, and I'm worried that if take my 160GB Hard Drive and attach it to this enclosure that my files will be deleted.

Right now I can't even detect the hard drive on my computer so I'm asking 2 questions.

1. What can I do to keep my hard drive from being reformatted?

2. How should I go about installing the external through Windows XP?

Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
-Rasikh

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    An enclosure is an enclosure is an enclosure. They do not have any control over the files on the hard drive. You can move an HDD to any enclosure on the planet, and the hard drive will be just fine. An external enclosure is just like plugging your drive into a new cable on a different PC, just outside of your case.

1. Nothing. It won't be. :)
    2. It'll install automatically.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2006
    yea dont worry itl work out fine. When you plug it in that little icon will appear saying something like "found : usb mass storage device", and then another will probably pop up saying the brand and that good stuff.
    edited June 2006
    Turns out it's a bad enclosure.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Turns out it's a bad enclosure.

huh?
    edited June 2006
    I spoke with him on AIM. The computer wasn't even detecting the HDD when it was plugged into the system on the new enclosure, while it worked just fine on his old one.