Noobie System

sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
edited June 2006 in Hardware
First of all YAY for my first post on the site, Ive been lurkin about here (durin work hours of course) for the past couple of weeks readin stuff...

So im finally making the leap and instead of leaching time on others computers Im buying and building my own. In saying this Im a complete noobie when it comes to system building so im lookin for a little advice on hardware. So here goes the parts list:

Already purchased:

Asus A8N sli - se
Sunbeamtech UV reactive perspex case (primarily to get ma geek on)

Awaiting purchace:

AMD 3800+ Dual core processor
Memory (please advise of a decent ammount and type; mid price point)
XFX 7900gt extreme edition graphics card
PSU (anyone had experiance with raidmax products? any good?)
Baracudda 7200 RPM 200gb hard drive
and an ASUS optical drive (nothin decided yet.)
Thermaltake Beetle CPU cooler

*Various case mods*

Primarily the computer will be for gaming but in a few months time I wanna use it for a little sound editing with the addition of a decent sound card. I feel confident in my first attempt to overclock it some (thanks to the article I found here) but will most likely be a regular on the forums untill I get it up and running...

I reside in The Land of The Long White Cloud - New Zealand

Thanks in advance for any input - SN -

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Can't really recommend anything without a location.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    First off welcome to Short-Media, we take pride in helping new members build PC's...

So far what you have chosen looks good. For your PSU OCZ & Antec make great PSU's get something with at least 480W or better. Sorry didn't see ram...

TBH i think for desktop PC's OCZ and Corsair make some of the best memory. something in the gold line at OCZ should be good, or the lower end XMS Corsair. 1 or 2GB should be good I wouln't go any lower. with DDR400 PC3200 you should be able to get 2GB in the $160 range "2 x 1GB" or 1GB for $80 range "1x 1GB" I would not settle for anything lower than 1GB.

You might want to splurge and go for the higher end CPU like a 4400+ X2 the 1MB cache will make a huge difference, and the performance increase over a 3800+ is pretty noticeable.

Note: the 7900GT series has been having some issues, but I personally own the XFX cards with no issues. They run great and provide awesome performance.
    edited June 2006
    I'd look at around 2GB for the RAM, the type would depend entirely on if you intend to overclock or not (if not then you can save quite a bit of money). If the machine is mainly for gaming then I'd get a *shudder* Creative X-Fi. Sledge pretty much covered the other points, although... depending on the timescale you may want to wait for the Conroe.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    I'd look at around 2GB for the RAM, the type would depend entirely on if you intend to overclock or not (if not then you can save quite a bit of money). If the machine is mainly for gaming then I'd get a *shudder* Creative X-Fi. Sledge pretty much covered the other points, although... depending on the timescale you may want to wait for the Conroe.

He already has a Mobo... and Conroe will see huge price gouging on release... might be out of his price range.
    edited June 2006
    True, but if he can wait long enough he could wait till the price drops... grow old.. have childrean... yeah ok, you're probably right, that would mean waiting too long. Ignore what I said.
  • sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
    edited June 2006
    wow fast reply's The system is to be overclocked so im lookin for some decent memory and a half decent price...
    This is a long term build as I cant save $ to save my life, so Im buying piece by piece.

not too sure what a conroe is but Im likely to agree with SH on this one. Im lookin for a system in the mid price range so a newly released tech will likely bust the bank.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited June 2006
    For memory you may want to check this out:
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80097-55

It's 2 sticks of 1gb memory, Corsair brand, and it's the XMS stuff. It is not the quickest in terms of timings, but is quicker than the value stuff. There is also a 50 dollar rebate which makes it cheaper than some of the cheaper quality memory. I personally just ordered this because I already bought the XMS C2 memory on my first build a couple years ago and plan on maxing out the memory.

When looking at Corsair memory in terms of performance and price the highest is: XMS XL, followed by XMS LL, then XMS C2, then XMS (I think they put a "P"?), and then the "Value". All the XMS sticks have heatsinks on them. If you see "Pro" it just means it has fancy lights on the stick and do noting performance wise.
    edited June 2006
    D00D wrote:
    For memory you may want to check this out:
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80097-55

It's 2 sticks of 1gb memory, Corsair brand, and it's the XMS stuff. It is not the quickest in terms of timings, but is quicker than the value stuff. There is also a 50 dollar rebate which makes it cheaper than some of the cheaper quality memory.

Don't think that's going to be much use with him being in New Zealand...
  • sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
    edited June 2006
    Well just made another minor purchace yesterday. Got a Logitech MX 510 mouse for NZ$35 (about US$17) looked like a goodish price...
  • edited June 2006
    Might be worth thinking about an ATI x1900xt depending on the games you play. There is no room for brand loyalty any more, see which card plays the games you want to play fastest then make your decision.