whats a better memory setup?

sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
edited June 2006 in Hardware
Im building my first system (as per my other threads) and will be buying my memory in the comming week. the system is to be overclocked and I im curious, am I better to go with a single 1gb stick or two 512mb sticks of ram?
I was readin thru the 939 platform O/C guide and noticed one of the 939 setups didnt work as well with 2x512mb modules.

OR am I better to save for a cpl a weeks and go for 2x1gb sticks?

thanks for and advice -SN-

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    You will be better off with 2 sticks of memory because it will enable 'Dual Channel" which allows for double the amout of data to pass at any given time. Yes, one stick will allow for a slightly higer overclock on the memory bus but the benefit of Dual Channel is greater than the benefit of the ever so slightly higher bus speed. With dual channel you always want to have 2 sticks and put one in each channel. When you put 2 sticks in each channel (4 sticks total) your performance will suffer. If you game and/or have a Dual Core CPU you will want 2 1GB sticks for the best possible performance. With an AMD system you will also want to get memory with the lowest possible timings at the highest possible speed.

BTW
    A64 systems run separate FSB and memory buses so memory will not hold back overclocking.
  • sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
    edited June 2006
    sweet, cheers for the tip :thumbup