Something fishy with my ATI 9800pro

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Hardware
Something fell off of it...i have no idea what it is..it looks like a small brick
its in the lower right,
it is copper colored
it resembles a small brick
it has two silver "sides" which would be the shorter end of the brick

thats just about it..im buying a rearwindow defogger repair kit to try to glue it on.. i have been able to put on the computer...but I experienced problems..not sure if its ram or gpu..but anyways
is this a bad idea? Will i make my graphics card smoke? What does this thing do
also, is there anything that i can replace this with for about 50 bucks?

Comments

• WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    i know a lot of people have seen this thread but so far there has been no input... i am not trying to bump it...but I am is its worth tring to solder that peice together, or should i try to use the rear window defogger repair kit
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Pics, please.
    edited June 2006
    this is about the best i can do... tbe arrow is what it looks like..the circle is where it broke off..my camera is terrible so i cant do anything else...this is actually the best pic made
    edited June 2006
    here it is again
    sm.jpg 81.1K
  • edited June 2006
    Who smeared cottage cheese on your camera? That's most likely a surface mount cap as it's a bit big for a resistor. Try gluing it back in place then the defogger stuff. If that doesn't work find a soldering iron surgeon to solder it back on.
    edited June 2006
    well its not the back thing...its the small brown thing in the lower right... just to make sure we are taking about the same thing..like does anyone know what this thing is used for exactly?
    edited June 2006
    madmat wrote:
    Who smeared cottage cheese on your camera? That's most likely a surface mount cap as it's a bit big for a resistor. Try gluing it back in place then the defogger stuff. If that doesn't work find a soldering iron surgeon to solder it back on.

i wish i knew who the cottage cheese smearer was...perhaps olympus did it..the makers of the camera
    edited June 2006
    i soldered it...i looked at the defogger kit and realized it might be a bad idea because 1)its used to accumulate heat...2 it wouldnt stick.. and 3 cuz i didnt have a microscope to apply the glue...it took me a while to solder it, and so far so good