New Mobo, old HDD- how to merge?

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited June 2006 in Hardware
Hi everyone,
I'll give you the scenario and see what you think.
Today I scored a tower for free and it has a 2.4 gHz processor in it (no HDD). My brother has an old tower with everything he needs in terms of hard drive space, ram and peripherals except the processor is less than one gig.
So I'm going to merge the two. What is the best way to get his HDD into this new tower with as little mucking around as possible. Can I do a Windows XP repair install? Will this keep his files etc in tact and update the hal.dll file so that his mobo becomes compatible with the HDD or do I need to clean install XP and (tediously) back up and transfer everything across?
Or is there an option I have not thought of? Any opinions and advice will be much appreciated.........
Cheers,
B:thumbsup:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Yes, you can do a repair install, but the result is not always as reliable as a clean install.
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited June 2006
    I have done something similar - taken a hard drive from a different pc and put int a new tower - I just connected up - made sure i had the drivers for the new mobo and any peripherals incase xp didnt recognise them and it booted up - found new hardware and was good to go - EXCEPT - windows needed to be activated again cos it thought it was being installed into a new system as did Nortons systemworks, so long as it has only been activated once before it should not be a problem