Site Outage

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Community
Just a quick headsup for all :)

Our bandwidth backbone (as we sit on it) provider is upgrading some core routers. The occasional dropouts are while things are switched over. Even with killer redundancy ;) if you take out the source.. you take out the lot!

They do however, know what they are doing :) Should be all done before most of our members even wake up :D

Comments

• RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Then why bother anouncing it?? ;)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Rob, you are officially nuts.. WTF were you doing up at 4:30 AM? Checking server status no less?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Rob said
    Then why bother anouncing it?? ;)

Because a dissapearing website still raises alarm bells with members ;)

Plus.. it was Brians cue to say "Rob.. you are nuts.. what the hell were u doing up?"

Do you have a batphone by your bed?? Which rings when there is something up with the datacenter? :nudge:
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited June 2003
    I was up at 4:30 and saw the server was down... I'm much more forgiving about these things if they happen overnight.

Last time I saw a server down, it continued to be down for several days and then I saw an announcement that it was up for auction.

Wouldn't want that to happen here.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Yes, I have a bat phone. Yes, if backbone routers on certain Verio, AT&T, or XO points goes down, I'm up.

If the network even shows some packet loss, its recorded and monitored. This isn't a hobby, hundreds of thousands of dollars are riding on 99.9% uptime.

We had 3 techs respond last night, and 2 more call me later to check, just from our end of the network. Reprocussions knocked out a remote handoff, there gear was cheap and was unable to route after the lines were back up. Another support call to have them reboot there gear, our end was fine.

I ended up going out to breakfast after we came online, and finilized the purchase of a competitor. 4:30 am is a wonderful time :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Well obviously this is money well spent, guys :)