STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} - after ATI Radeon Drivers

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Hi,

I have a baffling problem getting this message when trying to shutdown.

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x0000000)
The system has been shutdown.

Background:

I have two versions of XP on my machine. The oldest one is a semi-corrupt version which actually runs fairly stable now but I was unable to properly reinstall and decided to start again getting a new HDD and installing a fresh copy of XP pro on this. It allowed me to configure the new on whilst still using my old version for essentials. Ok that's the brief background.

The problem (and what defies logic):

I recently got a Radeon 9800 pro and being more recent than my old graphic card installed it on the old system first. All is fine and stable. So I booted into the new XP and installed it there too but get the error mentioned when trying to shut down. Drwtson log shows two things causing the problem. Winlogon and ATI2evxx.exe (access violation).

What defies logic of course is that this happens on the fresh copy of windows and not on the old one which is wierd.

I've searched the knowledge bases for this problem and so far have only been able to discover vague information that this error generally occurs when crss.exe or winlogon.exe have to shut down.

Unloading the ati drivers of course stop this happening but I can't figure out why this should happen and ATI believe my system is unstable. Obviously there are no hardware issues so it must be a software conflict.

If anyone can suggest the best troubleshooting method I'd be grateful.
The new XP is pretty much virgin with some apps loaded but really not used in anger yet.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Did you try to reinstall the drivers? freshly.... as I mean uninstall all the ATI drivers and the CP and reinstall them?
  • edited June 2006
    Hi,

Yes I've done that, I had a nvidia card in before but I did the same on both Xp versions, one worked and one didn't.

After a bit of investigation I focussed on the winlogon question. ie. why should this be affected by the drivers. What transpired resulted in a quick fix which solves the problem but doesn't answer the question of why it happens in the first place.

I noticed that the winlogon registry entry had a notify key that contained an entry to ATI2evxx.exe. Obviously when applying to shut down or log off this was notifying the ATI2evxx.exe and that's when the crash would happen. I backed up the key and deleted it. Problem solved. As ATI2evxx.exe seems to be an unessential part of the ATI control panel (hotkey events) I figure I'm not going to miss it.

The reason why and how it works on one instance and not the other still bothers me.