CD/DVD Burner/Rom drive

edited July 2006 in Hardware
My NEC 3540a burner has been acting strangely lately and I can't figure out what it could be. It does not read blank cds, making me unable to burn cds, and reads some cds for games while not reading others. For instance, it will read my call of duty 2 cd but will not read my wc3 cd. I thought it might be because of a few scratches that have accumulated on my wc3 cd over the years but when i tried using my friend's cd that had close to no scratches it still did not read the cd. Anyone have any idea why it is doing this?

Comments

• edited June 2006
    no one?
  • edited June 2006
    This is really frustrating. I don't understand why the CoD2 cd of all things works, but nothing else does. No one has any suggestions? I think I might be ready to go buy another drive, but it sucks that I have to since I have only been using this drive for a couple of months.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited June 2006
    Have you upgraded the firmware on the drive? I solved a similar problem with a Lite-On drive by upgrading the firmware. The new firmware made it recognize many, many more disks.

Go here for NEC's firmware updates.
  • edited July 2006
    hmmm it didnt work. thank you though

edit*

btw does anyone know what sort of warranty comes with these nec drives? if any at all
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    What software are you using? what OS? Has this been going on since you got the drive? Also give system details, please.
  • edited July 2006
    Am using Nero for burning cds. Xp Pro Sp1 because I haven't gotten around to updating this machine yet. The drive was working fine for a couple of months it only just started doing this a couple weeks back. 3200+ venice, 7800gt, 1gb ram, 74 raptor. Anything else?