Whats the difference between different HDD

sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
edited June 2006 in Hardware
Ok, is there and real difference between the different HDD manufacturers? (sp?) ie. Maxtor, Seagate, and Western Digital? Im buyin a 250gb sata drive and dont wanna end up with a lemon.

Thanks all -SN-:rockon:

Comments

• edited June 2006
    Couldnt tell you anything about the mechanics but you get a drive from any of those manufacturers and you should be pretty much fine. I could tell you horror stories about all 3 but truth is drives from all of those people are good.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Maxtor has been known to make HD's that die quickly... Seagate and WD are known for making awesome products.. But I look at it this way. you always have a low budget line of HD's a mid range and High end. If you spend the extra $ and get mid range your HD should last you a good long time. But it is really just luck of the draw...
  • sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
    edited June 2006
    thanks -SN-
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    go for western digital...ALL my maxtors died on me..and since seagate bought out that company i wouldnt be suprised if it becomes infected with the E.compula virus
  • edited June 2006
    Maxtor has been known to make HD's that die quickly...
    Now comments like that I really can't agree with. Its a blanket statement that really has no truth, meaning or evidence behind it.

Other than the 40gb IBM Deskstar 60XGPs a couple of years ago I don't think you can point out any range or brand of hard drive (recently) thats had major problems.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Obviously you don't remember WD and there 1GB drive fiasco. Made the IBM DeathStars look like old reliable.

Truth is all the drive manufacturer's have had quality control/design issues over the years. A lot of it is personal experience. I had WD drives die by the boatload. I've never had a bad Maxtor and still have a few IBM drives running too. I have dealt with hundreds of Seagates without a problem, but they had issues when the first Barracudas came out with heat failures.

All those companies make good drives. Just look for any current bad batch problems and then pick what fits your needs.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    i have had a total of 7...count em..7 80gig maxtor hds die out on me..three of which i needed to recently throw out all at once because none of them wanted to install windows vista without crashing..
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I can agree on the Maxtor....not a big fan either.

Over the years I have replaced more Maxtor's for clients than any other brand. They all have failures...but I have seen more Maxtor's than anything else.

I do know they have completely new offerings and hopefully they have turned things around...I have no experience with any of their drives manuf in the last 2 years.
  • edited June 2006
    Obviously you don't remember WD and there 1GB drive fiasco.
    Heh nope, my first machine had a 10GB HDD, could say I missed the golden age!

Enforces the point though, you can't single out any manufacturer as consistantly making bad drives.
    All those companies make good drives. Just look for any current bad batch problems and then pick what fits your needs.
    sociable.nomad, listen to this guy!
  • sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
    edited June 2006
    thanks all for your input, undoubitably (sp?) Ill pick my HDD and hit you all up for reassurance. Bieng a Noobie builder can be a an unnerving experiance :-/ but Ill get there in the end...
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    rapture-IC wrote:
    Heh nope, my first machine had a 10GB HDD, could say I missed the golden age!
    !
    What's scary was I remember when a 10 MB drive was as big as a washing machine and had rigid 7 platters. It was still better than the punched paper tape and then punch cards I started out using. My first PC hard drive was also 10MB. Thought I was in the bigtime when they upgraded it to a CORE 40.

How time flies when you are having fun !!! :O
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Missileman wrote:
    What's scary was I remember when a 10 MB drive was as big as a washing machine and had rigid 7 platters. It was still better than the punched paper tape and then punch cards I started out using. My first PC hard drive was also 10MB. Thought I was in the bigtime when they upgraded it to a CORE 40.

How time flies when you are having fun !!! :O

That sounds like a nightmare!!

which reminds me, I had a dream last night, that my new wireless router was talking to me, then it started smokeing and saying it was going to kill me. I was a little scared, cause it was a router, talking to me, none the less threatening me, but still, its just a router, about that time I woke up.:hair: