Geforce FX5950 or FX 5900

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I have an older computer and I want to get a new video card so that i can get a good amt of frames in HL1 and cs1.6.

I recently saw some good reviews on the 5900ultra and 5950ultra. I was wondering if this would be a good upgrade for me.

I had a geforce 6200 and wasnt very impressed. I think my computer might not even be worth getting a new card cause it seemed to hold the 6200 back or maybe the card just wasn't very fast. With the 6200 i got about 65 fps in cs1.6. I was expected more then 65fps from a 6200 but thats all i got.

So my main question is: Would a 5900ultra or a 5950 ultra run better then a 6200 and is it even worth upgrading my computer? Or is it worth upgrading anything else on my machine?

my comp specs:
duron 1.6ghz
MSI socket A micro atx mobo with km266 chipset, agp 4x
512mb pc2700 ram

Comments

• edited June 2006
    Help?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    ... is this a joke? I got high FPS in HL1 with a Voodoo 3 on my old PC... once you're above the 50/60fps barrier it really shouldn't be an issue anyway.
  • edited June 2006
    How would this be a joke. The highest FPS i got was like around 65. I also play digitalpaintball and when the server was filled up i got like 40. In dpb when your fps goes below 60 your balls per second goes down and u cant shoot as fast. I don't want u to criticize. I have an mx4000 now and no longer have my 6200. I think that i made myself clear in my question. I want to know if a 5900ultra is better then a 6200.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Yes the 5900 is going to be better than a 6200. you have to look at each series and how it performs but the main question is why are you going a 5900? Why not a 6600GT or a 7600GT? What is your budget?

The 5 series from Nvidia is a aging technology that does not support anything new in today’s games. I do see you posted about older games, but I would also think about the future also.
  • edited June 2006
    You might look into buying a 6800 series card as it kills the 5900 and 5950.

Sledge, the OP has AGP, a 7600GT would make a great paperweight but a lousy vid card.
    edited June 2006
    I think if a 6200 only gets 40fps in HALF-LIFE ONE we have more issues than the graphics card alone...
  • edited June 2006
    It depends on the resolution the OP is running at not to mention it's a system with the single channel ram km266 (budget performance chipset) and a mere 512mb of ram. Personally it sounds right in the ballpark to me.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    ... is this a joke?
    Mate, I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but please be a bit more thoughtful when replying to new members.

Moved to the Graphics forum.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2006
    Are your videocard drivers installed for your 6200. Also is counter-strike set to opengl rather then software rendering or direct X.

Also to change the fps limit type in fps_max 99 it will make it 99 fps limit rather then using vsync by default.

A 6200 should tear in cs 1.6.

edit: Btw your pc is the limit not your graphics card.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    My 6200 back when I had it pwned HL2 and CS:S... but you have a 1.6 Duron compaired to the A64 3000+ I had back then. Still, it should run pretty well, but you do need to optimize it a bit in game. Generally the default settings are good, but turning off VSYNC and Bloom should do you good. But I don't know what your settings are set to either.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I got 40-70 fps (view distance dependent) with a PIII 733mhz and a GeForce SDR. I sort of suspect OpenGL isn't enabled.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited June 2006
    5900Ultra.
  • edited June 2006
    Thank you all very much for the info.

I noticed that someone mentioned something about the motherboard. If that was something holding me back what should i look into in this area.

Also someone mentioned vsync how would i turn this off if i did have a 6200. My max fps was set to like 101 or sumthing of that sort.

The reason that i would not get a 6600GT or 7600GT is because they get a little pricy. The whole reason i was going to get an FX5900 type card is because of price but if i was to save up the money i would probably go with a 6600GT.

What sorts of things could be holding my fps down in cs or digitalpaintball. Also the fps gets low in dpb because there are tons of paintballs flying through the air. My friend gets like 90 fps in cs1.6 but when he plays dpb his fps gets down to like 65-70 in a 9v9 situation.

Right now with my 3d fuzionz mx4000 i am getting about 40-60 fps depending on the amt of people in that particular server.

Please post your knowledge i have found most of the replies very knowledgable and helpful. However if your going to bash on my computer please dont post. Money is somewhat tight in my family right now and i am looking for an affordable way to get the most from my computer.

Also how would i enable openGL. I didnt kno that it could be disabled. In CS and digitalpaintball it says openGL as the choice, not D3D or software.

Also my ram is 256x2

And no such 7600gt exists for agp only a 7600gs.
    edited June 2006
    That machine should be far above what it's currently getting. Buying new hardware isn't the answer. I think you need to do what was mentioned earlier and make sure the game isn't set to software rendering. Open the game and go to Configuration then click Video, Video Modes, then click OpenGL from along the top and pick a screenmode then Ok that menu.
    Mate, I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but please be a bit more thoughtful when replying to new members.

Moved to the Graphics forum.

I'm sorry but I honestly thought this was a wind-up.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2006
    Go to options then video then renderer should be set to opengl.
  • edited June 2006
    Well right now i have an mx4000 and i get 40-60 fps. When i had onboard i got like 20-30. I am almost positive my renderer was set to openGL. I didn't change it ever. Before i had the 6200 the renderer was always set to openGL. I don't think that it woul have changed automatically when i got the new card. I am sure that right now i have it set to openGL. I tryed the mx4000 on software and it did not even run at all.

Would the 6200s drivers have changed the renderer to software automatically?

From what many of you are saying it sounds as though there is something wrong with my computer besides the video card. What could this be?

Also what is bloom?
    edited June 2006
    RWB wrote:
    My 6200 back when I had it pwned HL2 and CS:S... but you have a 1.6 Duron compaired to the A64 3000+ I had back then. Still, it should run pretty well, but you do need to optimize it a bit in game. Generally the default settings are good, but turning off VSYNC and Bloom should do you good. But I don't know what your settings are set to either.

This is Half-Life ONE not HL2.

Hatty: Ignore the comment about Bloom, it doesn't apply to you.
  • edited July 2006
    Alright well to turn off vsync u just do the max fps stuff in console?

Also is openGL sumthing u have to install like u have to install directX?