Please Help.IDE issues

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Hello, I have problems with my IDE cable, When I switch on my PC it's not able to detect any drive even the cd-rom, but when i put another IDE cable with one connector it detects, therefore it can only detect one drive at a time. I tried the same "faulty" IDE in another computer it works perfect. I have tried several IDE cables with two connectors and all dont work. I have also played around with the jumpers but still no luck. Any idea?????

Comments

• Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited June 2006
    It sounds like a Master/Slave problem.
    1. Pull the two devices out that you want to use together and double check their jumper settings.
    2. Replace them and use the IDE cable with two connectors, however, only plug one in.
    3. Boot up and make sure it reports the drive as either Master or Slave and it matches your jumper settings.
    4. Shutdown and repeat the above step with the other device. Only have one plugged in at a time. Confirm the screen matches the jumper settings.
    5. Make sure either Step 3 or Step 4 is Master and the other is Slave.
    6. Shutdown and plug both in. Power up and see what you've got.

* If jumper settings do not match, pull the devices and change the jumpers. Repeat Step 3 or 4 to confirm the new jumper settings.

By plugging one in at a time the system should boot. Confirming the Master/Slave settings on the screen can ensure the jumpers are correct. It should work once you double check everything.