Building a New PC for Graphic Design

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited June 2006 in Hardware
I'm building a new PC for prepress... the term "graphic design" is pretty misleading for what I do... the graphics I deal with are very small however I do want a machine that will not slow down when running the adobe suite. In a previous post, it was suggested that I not spend $800 for a socket 939 FX60.. and that I instead go with the new AM2 socket. Please help me find parts to build this PC. (I will NOT be overclocking)

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2000MHz HT Socket AM2
Power Supply: OCZ Powerstream

Memory: ? 2GB of something fast
Motherboard: ? As inexpensive as possible
Video: ? As inexpensive as possible... All I require is the ability to be able to extend my desktop across two displays (does this require two video cards?)

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    You'll be able to extend your desktop with most of the video cards available today. I recommend either an ATI X1300XT or nVidia 7300GT/7600GS card for your purposes, with 256MB Video RAM or more in any of them; something like that should run you right around $100.

For the motherboard, I recommend something in the Asus M2N series.

If you want to pull the trigger on the memory today, Newegg has a $30 rebate on this OCZ gold DDR2-800.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2000MHz HT Socket AM2
    Power Supply: OCZ Powerstream

Memory: ? 2GB of something fast
    Motherboard: ? As inexpensive as possible
    Video: ? As inexpensive as possible... All I require is the ability to be able to extend my desktop across two displays (does this require two video cards?)

First off no you don't need 2 graphic cards for dual monitors... you a need a grpahics card with 2 outputs either dual DVI or DVI and VGA...

Memory: Corsair XMS or OCZ have been my favorites
    Mobo: Biostar has been a making a huge splash with soem awesome Mobo's in todays market. If you want a full size mobo for cheap get this board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138028

If you want a Micro ATM Board get this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138027

Video: TBH If you want a good card that performs across the board no issues a Nvidia 6600GT would be a great card for you. A 6600GT should price around $90 to $120.00 now if you want to go a step down from a GT to a TD you can find those for the $60 range.. Great cards for the price. but the real question is what size Monitors are you going to run? and do they need DVI or AGP?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Yeh, a faster card will help you out with running 2 monitors.