D805

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Hi
Need some help, just rebuilt my pc using a D805 on a ASUS P5ND2-SLI motherboard, when i boot the pc it starts ok, when i try to load up windows xp it shuts down just as it gets to the point when it asks me to hit enter to start the full load up of windows, this kept happening every time even with a new and clean hard drive.

I went in to the bios on the mainboard to see if every thing was running ok and found the processor was running at 83 c and the fan was running at 2230 rpm, i have instaled a 500w psu and 1G or DDR2 ram.

Can any body help

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    installation cd might need cleaning or may be bad.
  • edited June 2006
    tosh, it sounds to me like you might be having a heat-related shutdown issue. 83 C is very hot. What kind of heatsink are you using on it, the stock retail one? If it is, then it sounds like it's not installed right or something as the retail heatsink should do a better job than that.

EDIT: A breakdown of the other parts of your system like case and case fans and your room temp would be good to post too.:)
  • edited June 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    tosh, it sounds to me like you might be having a heat-related shutdown issue. 83 C is very hot. What kind of heatsink are you using on it, the stock retail one? If it is, then it sounds like it's not installed right or something as the retail heatsink should do a better job than that.

EDIT: A breakdown of the other parts of your system like case and case fans and your room temp would be good to post too.:)
  • edited June 2006
    Hi
    the processor came with it own heatsink and fan as one unit from intel, i was thinking my self that it may be a heat shutdown problem, but how can this be if i have used the heatsink and fan that was supplied with the cpu from intel.
  • edited June 2006
    This could happen if the heatsink didn't seat correctly and is hung up on one side a little or something like that. Do you have some extra thermal interface material such as the white silicon goop or Arctic Silver 5? If so, remove the heatsink and clean that one-time tim pad off of it and apply some thermal goop and remount the heatsink.
  • edited June 2006
    i did have a problem mounting the heatsink it didn`t go on properly the first time causing bit of the heat pad to scratch do you think this could be the problem, i do have some heatsink compound but not sure of the make
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    If you can re- seat the CPU and Heat sink and see if that fixes the issue.
  • edited June 2006
    I have just removed the heatsink and cleaned it and put some new paste on lets see if this works will keep you posted
    thanks