PC just reboot by itself

edited July 2006 in Hardware
My ACER aspire computer of abt 1 yr old just reboots by itself no matter what program i was using. And when it restarts, microsoft would send me an error report and suggest that i upgrade my BIOS. Sometimes i would be using the computer for few hours and nothing happens but on my bad days, it would just reboot the moment my PC start up. Plz help! :scratch:

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Pcs usually restart due to overheating. Is your pc in a well ventilated area, or is it hidden under the desk with not much airflow?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    What is the model number of your Acer computer?

What skankinred mentioned about heat is well worth checking out. A few passes of Memtest-86 would be a good idea as well. :)
  • edited July 2006
    skankinred wrote:
    Pcs usually restart due to overheating. Is your pc in a well ventilated area, or is it hidden under the desk with not much airflow?

Its actually placed under my desk. But why is it that sometimes when i just start up the computer and it reboots.. Its not even warm up yet i think. So what would u recommend the solve the overheating. Why did microsoft send me an error report to upgrade my BIOS?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I believe your power supply may be going bad. Do you know how to access your computer's BIOS to check voltages on the 3.3, 5 and 12v rails?
  • edited July 2006
    Acer model is T310
  • edited July 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    I believe your power supply may be going bad. Do you know how to access your computer's BIOS to check voltages on the 3.3, 5 and 12v rails?

I think so too.. Im not sure how to access my computer BIOS to check for the voltage.
    edited July 2006
    Okay, when your computer is first powered on, hit F1, F2, F11, F10, Delete and Insert rapidly. These are the most common keys to access a computer's BIOS, with any luck, one of them will work. At that point, just rummage through all the sections in the BIOS until you find one related to voltage.

If you don't find one, don't be terribly surprised as many companies don't leave this section in their BIOS because most users will never require it, especially on laptops.

Does the PC reboot if it's on just battery power, just AC power, or both?
  • edited July 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Okay, when your computer is first powered on, hit F1, F2, F11, F10, Delete and Insert rapidly. These are the most common keys to access a computer's BIOS, with any luck, one of them will work. At that point, just rummage through all the sections in the BIOS until you find one related to voltage.

If you don't find one, don't be terribly surprised as many companies don't leave this section in their BIOS because most users will never require it, especially on laptops.

Does the PC reboot if it's on just battery power, just AC power, or both?

Ok. I will try that. BTW, Its AC power. Mine is a desktop.
    Anyway, this is what the error report says :

Solution not found: consider BIOS Upgrade

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Problem description

Microsoft is unable to determine what specifically caused the problem you reported.

Consider BIOS Upgrade

During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output (BIOS) system version on this computer does not match the specifications for the processor that is installed on your computer. This can occur when a newer processor is installed on an older system board or older BIOS. Using a BIOS that does not support the installed processor can result in Windows system crashes. Please contact your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for an updated version of BIOS for your computer's processor.
    edited July 2006
    Sorry to assume. I quickly googled Acer Aspire and all I got were laptops.

Do you have the exact model of your desktop? We might be able to track down a BIOS version for you, but I suspect that's just the tip of the iceberg.
    edited July 2006
    It's the T310.
    During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output (BIOS) system version on this computer does not match the specifications for the processor that is installed on your computer.
    What is the FSB (Front Side Bus) and Multiplier set at? What is the speed of the CPU in the computer?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Here is the link to the comp in question.

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal20.cfm?recordid=178&formid=3404&website=AcerPanAm.com/us&siteid=7293&words=all&keywords=&areaid=7

I am going to suggest the following in order of how I would proceed.
    • Remove the side panel and carefully clean the dust bunnies from the case intakes, fans and heatsinks. Be very careful not to bump anything inside. A can of compressed air will be perfect for this. Positioning a vacum cleaner hose above the case while doing this helps keep the dust from settleing back in the case. Do not put the hose inside thae case!
    • Run MemTest v3.2. Be sure to read the manual included in the download and follow the directions. If you have any errors you will need to replace your memory.
    • If all the above is done and you are still having problems then I would suggest a new power supply of reputable brand with at least 350W.
  • edited July 2006
    Well, i tried cleaning as u recommend but the problem still present. I did the MemTest but so far no error. It ran for abt 1 hr. (I ran it for the first 10mins and my PC reboots and i had to do it again!)
    So u think i should just change the power supply? It looks difficult with all the wiring... :confused:

So what abt the BIOS thing?
    edited July 2006
    gawddez wrote:
    ...So u think i should just change the power supply? It looks difficult with all the wiring... :confused:
    That would be my next step. Changing a PSU is actually a lot easier than it looks. Count how many of each type of connection you remove, then make sure you hook the same number of each back up when you install the new one. There are four screws at the back of the case which hold it in place. Unhook the wires first, then make sure it doesn't fall onto the other parts in your computer as you are removing it.
    So what abt the BIOS thing?
    Answering the questions in my previous post would be helpful in advising you on that. :)
  • edited July 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    It's the T310.

What is the FSB (Front Side Bus) and Multiplier set at? What is the speed of the CPU in the computer?

How do u check for these FSB and Multiplier? I tried typing FSB at my system information and everytime it reboots and its says something like "thread stuck..."

BTW, Mine is 3000MHz
    CPU clock 1.7GHz
  • edited July 2006
    I checked my system info and i saw this under component->Problem devices and i saw an error that states:
    Pnp Bios Extension Root\SYSTEM\0003 Error Code:37
    edited July 2006
    gawddez wrote:
    How do u check for these FSB and Multiplier? I tried typing FSB at my system information and everytime it reboots and its says something like "thread stuck..."

BTW, Mine is 3000MHz
    CPU clock 1.7GHz
    Go into the BIOS and look for something relating to CPU settings. Your 3.0GHz CPU is running at 1.7GHz. This is almost certainly the cause of the error messages you're getting. See what the setting for Front Side Bus is.
  • edited July 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Go into the BIOS and look for something relating to CPU settings. Your 3.0GHz CPU is running at 1.7GHz. This is almost certainly the cause of the error messages you're getting. See what the setting for Front Side Bus is.

Where do i locate the FSB? Eveytime i type in search, my compter reboots.
    I went to setting but couldnt find any settings on BIOS.
    I saw current CPU Feq : 200MHZ
    Current DRAM Freq : 166MHZ

System Manufacturer Acer
    System Model Aspire T310
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD R01-B3, 1/14/2004
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name OEM-ENDJHT5AZB5\user
    Time Zone Malay Peninsula Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 216.88 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 1.22 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
  • edited July 2006
    Hi, just read the thread. I also have an Acer T310 desktop and experienced same issues last year... I went through checking everything thinking it was the hardware, but then i managed to install a bootable partition on the same hardrive - booted off that and the computer worked fine. When i went back to try and boot off the faulty partition i still had the same issues so in the end i just formatted the partition and its been fine since. weird but thats what happened.. I was convinced iot was hardware/overheating problems but in the end it seems it wasnt. still not sure but its cured now
  • edited July 2006
    goosepig wrote:
    Hi, just read the thread. I also have an Acer T310 desktop and experienced same issues last year... I went through checking everything thinking it was the hardware, but then i managed to install a bootable partition on the same hardrive - booted off that and the computer worked fine. When i went back to try and boot off the faulty partition i still had the same issues so in the end i just formatted the partition and its been fine since. weird but thats what happened.. I was convinced iot was hardware/overheating problems but in the end it seems it wasnt. still not sure but its cured now

So u would recommend that i format my hard disk? Whats a bootable partition? Btw, did u always get the error report to upgrade ur bios?
  • edited July 2006
    Please try to download http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and open it.

Click the about tab and select Validation

then click save validation file

Proceed to step 2 and visit the validation web page link.

Enter a fake name if you wish and a fake email if you wish as well.
    Upload the validation you saved in step 1 by clicking browse and then hitting publish online.

Paste the url of the page it gives you in this thread.

Also please visit Acer's website and use the link below to enter Desktop T310 and view your downloads for your system.
    http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal20.cfm?website=AcerPanAm.com/us&siteid=7293&areaid=7&formid=3394&LINKTEXT=Drivers%20%26%20Downloads

I see there is a FlashBIOS update. Even though it does not address your issue, it is probably worth it updating anyways.

Click on the FlashBios link.

Download the link to the zip file.

Then:

Create a bootable floppy
    Copy the BIN file, EXE file to the floppy diskette
    Boot from the floppy.
    At the DOS prompt type:
    awd824b ACS24B18.bin /sn/py/cc/cp/r/cd

Your bios will now be updated. I now suggest you go into the bios and click on "load optimized defaults" or something similiar to default settings. Then save and exit.

If you are still having problems post again, and we will try some other things.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2006
    It looks like the update Bios idea is a guess from Microsoft. Is it wise to try this if the PC keeps rebooting? Maybe when the thing is stable?
    I'd go for the PSU replacement option first.
  • edited July 2006
    skankinred wrote:

Upload the validation you saved in step 1 by clicking browse and then hitting publish online.

Also please visit Acer's website and use the link below to enter Desktop T310 and view your downloads for your system.
    http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal20.cfm?website=AcerPanAm.com/us&siteid=7293&areaid=7&formid=3394&LINKTEXT=Drivers%20%26%20Downloads

I see there is a FlashBIOS update. Even though it does not address your issue, it is probably worth it updating anyways.

Then:

Create a bootable floppy
    Boot from the floppy.
    At the DOS prompt type:

Your bios will now be updated. I now suggest you go into the bios and click on "load optimized defaults" or something similiar to default settings. Then save and exit.

Should i run that validation program??
  • edited July 2006
    skankinred wrote:

Then:

Create a bootable floppy
    Boot from the floppy.
    At the DOS prompt type:

I tried the program and this is the URL :
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=105064
  • edited July 2006
    Ok, everything looks good so far. Please go ahead with the bios update and let us know how it goes.