Play Game Console on The PC

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I've been wondering how do I run the connection from my game console (such as a Gamecube or PS2) through my graphics card. I have an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro and I'm pretty sure there is a way I just can't find out how... oh and if I need auido through my speakers would I also need a convertor? I have a sound blaster audigy also

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2006
    You need a VIVO card, Does your card say VIVO on the box ?.
  • edited July 2006
    Yeah its a Radeon X1600 its got just about everything really probably more than I need... so yes it has VIVO heh
  • edited July 2006
    Um anybody? just wanted to know if anyone else has done it
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    if it has VIVO (Video In, Video Out) then it should have either a few jacks on the back, a little cable with multiple connections, or a breakout box for the connections in order to hook it up, im about to crash, so Im not gonna go see if the 1600 has it or not.

G'night.
  • edited July 2006
    Alright It appears to have S-Video out only, VGA, and DVI-I connections with the card... And the extra connections it comes with are those hdtv red, green, blue connections... some double yellow video connection I've never seen in my life and wouldn't know how to use it... a VGA, DVI convertor... a black s video connection that goes both ways cord and thats about it I think...

And it says AVIVO on the side of the box with this to say about it

-Revoulutionary technologies enabling superior quality and High-Definition visual experiences

-Enhances digital video, gaming and photos, ensuring sharp images, crisp text, and vivid color

-Univerisal connectivity for TVs and displays (with a little 1 beside that statement... which I can't find anywhere on the box or anywhere else where it explains that little "1"

So hope that helps and hope I can finally play on it someday ha ha
    edited July 2006
    okay, tell me this, how many pins are on the what looks to be an svideo connector, commonly, they will roll all the connectors up onto one little 'bung' type thing.

can you take a picture of the back of the card and any accessories included with it and post it hear?
  • edited July 2006
    Alright the S-Video both ways black cord has 4 pins and the black one just like normal s video stuff both ways... and the other cord thats yellow at both ends has a prong sticking out at both ends or I guess thats what you call it just like one prong thingy to plug into something else (um male I'm guessing?)

And sorry can't do the pics haven't had batteries for a while still need to get some I might go out and do that in a few days but this'll have to do for now heh
    edited July 2006
    okay, if it only has 4 pins, then it is just an svideo connection. Is your 1600 just the base model,

Can you pick your card out of one of these, and link to it.
  • edited July 2006
    yep its this one exactly
    edited July 2006
    That card has no VIVO support.
  • edited July 2006
    Ah well they AVIVO thing on the side of the box throws me off... video isn't exactly my field of knowledge on the comp I know pretty much everything else except video which is why I usually always have problems heh
    edited July 2006
    RPGexpert wrote:
    Ah well they AVIVO thing on the side of the box throws me off... video isn't exactly my field of knowledge on the comp I know pretty much everything else except video which is why I usually always have problems heh

The one you linked to has no VIVO support (No rage theater chip).
  • edited July 2006
    So AVIVO and VIVO are two different things because thats the card I have in the link
    edited July 2006
    Avivo is a technology that lets your compress video using your videocard rather then cpu.
  • edited July 2006
    Ah alright gotcha finally... so pretty much I'll only be able to use a tv or something like that as a secondary monitor but not be able to use my monitor as a tv screen pretty much?
    edited July 2006
    no, you could get a monitor switch, , then get a D-Sub to componet adapter, and buy componet video cables for you xbox or whatever it was, that will allow you to play it on the monitor, that is how we have our projector hooked up to out DVD player at church, as it had no componet inputs, so we used the RGB D-sub.
  • edited July 2006
    Ah yeah heard of those so pretty much I can't run it through my graphics card onto my monitor? well just wanted to see what that was like ah well
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    You're not missing anything. It actually gives better quality to run the video signal directly from the console to the monitor. The only reason to run signals thru your computer first, is to set it up as a DVR or something. Otherwise, all you are doing is resampling/reprocessing the video, which can not actually increase the quality at all since you cannot add resolution or other information to an incomming signal.
  • edited July 2006
    Ah gotcha so pretty much there would be no use running a game console through the graphics card... just go straight to the monitor? well makes sense now thanks for all the help guys!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Glad we got you an answer.

Don't take off now, though. Stick around, it's a great community, and I'm sure there are some things that you can help others out with.
  • edited July 2006
    Alright thanks I'll be flying around these boards everynow and then I guess I'm used to them going faster because I'm on gamefaqs also so its kinda slow here for me heh