Strange bootup problem

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I just finished rebuilding my system, took it apart and cleaned it good. Got rid of a few parts I don't use like the FDD and one of my CDRW's. Upon trying to turn it on for the first time since I cleaned it it just sits there trying to turn on. It's like it gets power for a split-second every 2 to 3 seconds which gives it enough power to spin up the fans for just a second, and constantly does this with a varying degree of spinning power. Every now and then it'll power up for 5 to 10 seconds then turn itself off.

It's the ABIT Fatal1ty AN8-SLI MB with a TTGI 520W PSU. I have tried running it with bare minimal components. Same exact thing.

Mind you, I have had strange bootup issues since I got the MB, but don't count it towards the MB, as the MB uses a 24pin ATX connecter and my PSU only has 20. And the issue wasn't bad, I just had to let it "charge up" so to speak.

I feel a better explaination is required...

My computer will not shut off, it'll shutdown for bout 3 seconds then reboot. In order for it to stay off I had to shut it down, and during those 3 seconds flip the switch on the PSU to keep it off. After about 3 more seconds I could flip the switch back on and the system will stay off. However if I forgot to flip the switch back on, then the next time I wanted the computer back on I would have to flip the switch and wait about 10 seconds before I am able to actually turn it on.

Mind you, it's been like this since I got the MB, however I never experienced any other issues with this system hince why I think it's the PSU, but why would it only suddenly go bad after cleaning the system? I didn't clean the PSU, I did nothing to it.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I remembered I had another PSU, a 420W or something. I put it in, thought it was gonna boot up but shuts down after 5 to 10 seconds, but it does it reliably now instead of every once in a while.

I think I put on too much AS5, I will try cleaning off some of that becuase I accidently put on about 3 times more than needed, 2 to 3 times more or so. But not really enough to make me think it'll cuase a problem.

Any ideas guys?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Welp, I managed to fix it...:rolleyes2