Multiple Probs w/ Brand new hardware

RatBurger08RatBurger08 Corpus Christi, TX
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hi,

When I hook up everything I have, such as the memory, graphics card, internal usb, and both IDE cables, the computer turns on, the fans on the vid card spin and the proc and psu fans spin, but nothing posts on the screen.

When I unhook the IDE cables from the HDD and DVD/CD-RW drives, they boot up, but the screen is still blank. When I reinsert the cables, and reboot the computer, they don't turn on at all.

At CompUSA, when I bought the Motherboard & Processor combo, I had them test it, and both worked with their memory and vid card, but I can't get them to work at all.

My hardware goes as follows:
MSI K8M Mobo NEW
AMD Sempron 2800 Processor NEW
Corsair 1GB PC2700 memory NEW
NVidia GeForce 5500 O.C. 256mb Vid card NEW
Western Digital 40GB HDD Used
LG DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive Used
ATX Case Used
HP 17" CRT monitor Used, but Very unused
300 watt PSU (250 watt cable) used
media card reader w/2 USB 2.0 ports (came with case) Used

Like I said, the HDD and CD drive do not work when plugged into the IDE cables, fans spin, memory new, and correct type, not sure if the PSU cable has to be 300 watt to match the PSU, but IDK.

If you could respond asap that'd be awesome, as I need this computer to do college homework. (this computer can't handle the software.. LOL)

Corey

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    OK, square one.
    Mobo out on the desk, Install CPU & cooler, memory (push it in real firmly), and video card.
    Nothing else.
    Check PSU connections. Does this mobo require 20 pin or 24 pin? extra connector?
    Fire it up. You should be able to get into bios.

My guess is power connections.
  • RatBurger08RatBurger08 Corpus Christi, TX
    edited July 2006
    I'll try that, it uses the 4-pin and the 24 pin.

Corey
  • RatBurger08RatBurger08 Corpus Christi, TX
    edited July 2006
    Hey,

I figured out the problem, I feel so stupid... LOL

The input to the PSU was a 250W cord, and the PSU is 300W, so it didn't have enough juice to boot the system up.
    It works fine with a 250W though, maybe I'll just use my old one...

Corey