Flash Help

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited July 2006 in Internet & Media
I'm making a menu for my future site in Flash, and I got it done, the only problem is that I want to stop the animation at the end of on layer, but keep the other layers going. I haven't done much with actionscript, so the only as I used in this animation is:
[PHP]stop();[/PHP]

That is useful for most things, but in this case, since it stops all layers, it's useless.

The second problem is that when I save the files, the swf comes up blank. I attached the published files. Someone please take a look. Also, if you look, you'll see I didn't use tweens, I use individual keyframes, but actually, I use the custom easing tool so don't think I suck THAT much. Thanks!

EDIT: BTW, the if you use the HTML to open it, it works fine, but the SWF looks blank. No biggie as long as HTML works, but just wanted to know the reason. Also, I think this is an amazing menu I made, since I use no AS. If anyone wants to give me any unrelated tips go ahead.

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    it looks good to me. and it should only stop the layer/object that you put the script in, I am no actionscript god, but I know a little bit to get me around.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited July 2006
    it looks good to me. and it should only stop the layer/object that you put the script in, I am no actionscript god, but I know a little bit to get me around.
    If that's the case, then why is stopping the whole animation? If you look at the glow, it should keep changing color, instead it stops at red, which is the same frame as the one with AS on a different layer.
    edited July 2006
    its been a long time, but cant you do a stop and goto, I will open up the fla, I just looked at the swf. give me a few minutes.
    edited July 2006
    i am going to code in a loop for the glow, as me not being a actionscript guru, that seems to be the solution that I can manage.

<object width="100%" height="100%">
    <param name="movie" value="http://ibbabl.com/images/Menu.swf"&gt;
    <embed src="http://ibbabl.com/images/Menu.swf&quot; width="100%" height="100%">
    </embed>
    </object>
    edited July 2006
    i am going to code in a loop for the glow, as me not being a actionscript guru, that seems to be the solution that I can manage.
    Thanks! :cheers:
    edited July 2006
    its up there, pretty simple, not sure it is the best way to do it, but using flash on my screen is a royal pita. I have a little 15" envision at 1024x768. not near as nice as what I have at the school. I persuaded them to get a workstation. I got a 19" monitor, and a decent computer to run all the goodies, much nicer to work on, although, I have my eye set on a 21" widescreen for my self. hopefully.

It is a little butchered becuase I did not have the fonts, but it should work alright back on your system. There seems to be a jitter or something that I can not quite pick out, but I can tell it is there, right before it starts the loop after all the buttons stop movign and are lined up.
    edited July 2006
    ||||||||||||||||||OBJECT REMOVED BY SCAR||||||||||||||||||
    Here's the complete and bug free menu! Thanks air. I think the jitter you were talking about was caused by you switching the order of the layers, but no biggie!
    edited July 2006
    Scar, how are you embeding that, are you doing it so that any browser can see it? The flash looks good though, and yeh, now that I think about it, it most likely was a out of place layer, cause I was battling my small screen for some more real estate on the workspace/timeline/actionscripting pane.:shakehead

[PHP]<object width="100%" height="100%">
    </embed>
    </object>[/PHP]

you need both the object, and embed tags, because I think one browser looks at the object, and the other looks at the embed and ignores the object. If i remember right, but anyway, does yours look like that because I can not see what you have embeded. FF wants me to get a plugin that I already have.
    edited July 2006
    Scar, how are you embeding that, are you doing it so that any browser can see it? The flash looks good though, and yeh, now that I think about it, it most likely was a out of place layer, cause I was battling my small screen for some more real estate on the workspace/timeline/actionscripting pane.:shakehead

</embed>
    </object>[/PHP]

you need both the object, and embed tags, because I think one browser looks at the object, and the other looks at the embed and ignores the object. If i remember right, but anyway, does yours look like that because I can not see what you have embeded. FF wants me to get a plugin that I already have.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, that's what happens when it's a "family" PC, but I'll check my code and see.
    edited July 2006
    This is what I have:
    <param name="movie" value="http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=menu0fc.swf"&gt;
    <embed src="http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=menu0fc.swf&quot; width="100%" height="100%">
    </embed>
    </object>[/PHP]
    edited July 2006
    That is interesting, now it is not even showing up, when I right click, it says "About Macromedia Flash Player"...quircky.
    edited July 2006
    I'm trying it in IE. Haven't used it in months, and it seems slow as hell in loading.
    edited July 2006
    Yea IE sux, it won't even show the blank space let alone the movie.
    edited July 2006
    Maybe it's a problem with using imageshack. What did you use?
    edited July 2006
    Sarcnet on firefox:D
    edited July 2006
    Awwww, I wanna use sarcnet.... Anyway, just download the file, upload it to sarc, then we can all see it...
    edited July 2006
    BTW, can someone get me the SM logo without backgrounds so I can put it in a flash for my sig.
    edited July 2006
    There, It is the one I put up originally, just overwrote the file.
    edited July 2006
    OKay. Now if I wanted that menu to scroll down with the page and follow you so you don't have to go to top to go to a different page, how would I do that? I'm assuming this would go into HTML/CSS/XML and since that's not my part of our project, I'll have my friend take a look at it. In the mean time, any cool actionscript affects will be greatly appreciated.
    edited July 2006
    um, I think that you could put it in a container of some sort, not sure though, im not really a web designer, I know enough to get by, but I'm not a guru by anymeans.

AFAIK, when you do a flash site, it is usually a fixed length so that there is no scrolling, or are you just integrating flash into the site?
    edited July 2006
    AFAIK, when you do a flash site, it is usually a fixed length so that there is no scrolling, or are you just integrating flash into the site?
    ... just integrating flash into the site.
    edited July 2006
    Added custom sound to menu if anyone wants to take a look at it.
    edited July 2006
    I want the menu to cover up after the animation and uncover when the user clicks a button I will make. Now all I need is a simple code to tell Flash to got to a frame on the click of a movie clip. So the button is actually a movie clip with the instance name cover, and identifier cover. I suck at actionscript but I tried this:
    [PHP]
    onClipEvent (mouseDown) {
    gotoAndPlay(1);
    }
    [/PHP]
    Can anyone give me a code that will do this please? Let me know if you don't understand, as my explanation was a bit crude, and I'll try to explain better.

EDIT: BTW I put the AS in the movieclip.