Geforce 5500

edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys
I dont have a high end machine in the LEAST.. just something to get me thru and i have been having an issue for a while now.. it might be the smallest problem and could be fixed easily.. and i definitely have been searching forever in a lot of forums and havent found a solution.. so if there is one on the site.. say no more and point me to it.. sorry again

haha i have a fx 5500 256 MB but it shows up on dxdiag as 128... now i dont know how to make it work at 256 .. will someone please guide me? thanks a lot
JJ

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Your bios might be set to run your card at 128MB. When you computer boots log into your Bios and adjust the apature size to 256MB... might say something liek AGP apature or something like it.

If you need more help please post your entire computer specs...
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    AGP apature size has no effect on how much graphics RAM the PC sees...
    edited July 2006
    Thats not true.... If it is set at 128MB the Bios will only read it at 128MB.. but TBH it all depends on the Motherboard.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Mine is set to 32 (ony my Athlon64 previous to this), hell, I even had it at 16 on one of my machines. I don't think HL2 and such would do too well with 32MB graphics RAM and DX has ALWAYS reported the correct amount of Video RAM regardless what the apature is set to on all my machines (and friends machines).
    edited July 2006
    DX will report the size on the card but will not tell you the amount in use. Just like my laptop has 128MB onboard and DX shows 128MB but it also uses 384MB of system memory which lets the card run at 512MB. DX dosen't show this it only shows this in the bios settings.

His 5500 may support 256MB of memory but may only have 128MB onboard and can use upto 128MB of system memory. AGP Apeture Size "AAS" is the amount of system memory (RAM) shared with an AGP graphics card in order for it to have more memory to process textures and other visual data.

By adjusting this it will increase the amount of memory your graphics card can access, but 90% of the time it will never show you it in the DXdiag menu.
  • edited July 2006
    wow.. i wasnt expecting this kind of response... thanks a lot guys.. ill definitely check my bios and then if it doesnt help ill show all the specs..
    thanks
    JJ
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    AGP apature size has no effect on how much graphics RAM the PC sees...
    I agree.

Im running my apature at 128MB (1/4 of my system ram) my video-card still shows up as 256MB.