Guild Wars

NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
edited October 2003 in Gaming
Well the fine people over at ArenaNet are working on a MMORPG with no monthly fee, a welcome idea for many gamers wishing to get into the genre. Since the Arenanet folks were originally Blizzard exployees who worked on games such as Diablo, Starcraft, and Warcraft they know how to make good games and have had experience designing the free Battle.net service.

From what I have read about it so far it seems to be shaping into a very good game concept. Instead of high level characters completely pwning n00bs they will merely have more skill choices while lower levels will have less skill choices. Thus the player with the best strategy wins. It is very reminiscent of the Planetside skills system which I think is excelent.

I have also read that there will be various modes of gameplay from being able to go solo, to group coop, to group PvP. I think the most interesting part will be the guild wars themselves. They plan on having a very extensive guild system with guild halls and the works. Since there is one universal server that everyone plays on there should be some pretty spectacular battles assuming they can keep lag to a minimum.

Anyhoo what does everyone else think of the game? Do you think they can really make the no monthly fee work while still keeping a steady flow of content? Will lag be a big problem with so many people on the same server?

Norge

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Deffinately something I will be trying....

NS
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    can I get a link to the official web-site? assuming there is one...
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited October 2003
    It deserves a try. A link would be appreciated :D
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited October 2003
    Ok here is the link to the official site.

http://www.guildwars.com/

Norge
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited October 2003
    Looks similar to World of Warcraft..

It's free, though.
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited October 2003
    looks awesome!

what's the catch?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I'll bet the catch is that it turns out to be ghostware...
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    NOWHERE does it say it's free. They dont give a pricing model but my bet is that you BUY the box and then dont pay subscription
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited October 2003
    Well yeah you have to actually buy the game. There just isn't a monthly fee.

Norge