4k in the next 2 hours.

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Folding@Home
If all goes well (which they haven't for the past few weeks) I should be turning in about 4k in points w/in the next 2 hours. I have a few clients holding on to wu's in que so if they don't send out then the points won't be as great. I hope the servers cooperate today!:fold:

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Holy cow:wow:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    how long should i have to wait for those points to show at stanford stats (the majority have been sent)? if it doesnt come close to 4k and it only shows 1k then i will definitely regress to a single client on each station. :fold:
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited June 2003
    wow that would sure be a nice boost... thats like 4 weeks worth of points for me and you will do that in 2 hours :respect:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    *sniffle sniffle* there goes all my hope for ever becoming number one
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited June 2003
    i find that many times my points will show up within an hour or so after they get sent in, although i don't know for sure how often their servers update the stats
    edited June 2003
    They should within the hour if you didnt kill the servers.

1,500 points so far are up.
    edited June 2003
    I think it updates every 20 mins ...it says that the server status updates at that interval.
    edited June 2003
    :Report generated at Thu Jun 12 08:21:57 PDT 2003:

Its at the VERY bottom. And its every hour or so.
    edited June 2003
    at any rate ...it seems I'm not getting credit for everything I send in ...I'll have to resort to something after lunch more than likely
    edited June 2003
    As long as they can all get to the internet one client should so. You can try just 2 clients if they get stuck waiting for work.
    edited June 2003
    yeah i need to cut back on the clients for sure ...they aren't getting stuck at all really I'm just not getting credits for them. I sent out over 4000 points in wu's and get credit for 1643 ...there is a definite problem.
    edited June 2003
    what is meant by "use ie connection settings = yes" ...i see that on the 80 clients but not on the 4 i have on this system?
    edited June 2003
    I think it will go out the firewall like its apart of IE.

I have mine all set to no. Even at school it works with No. They dont use proxy either.
    If you have a proxy server, the FAH3 client needs additional information to know how to reach the Stanford servers via your internet connection.

There are two methods of giving the required information to the client: Fill in detailed information about your proxy, or assume that IE knows how to get there and use that information. There are many different proxy arrangements, and no single answer works in all cases. Try both, and use the one that works. Detailed information is generally the best method (f you have enough information) because the IE routed path often adds extra steps through internet blocking software which may also block the client.

Its for proxies. If you cannot get out w/o using the proxy you either need to use this so the WUs can get out or manually specify proxy settings.
    edited June 2003
    ok this is what I've done so far (since my 50% return on wu's) ...I reinstalled each client as a service manually to insure that the configurations were set properly ...when I initially set things up I used ghost and something may have botched in the process.
    So ...when I get back on monday I'll calculate how many points I should have gained by then and if I'm still short I will decrease the number of clients per machine.
    How many clients should I resort to? one or two?
    edited June 2003
    I think when you set them all up as a ghost, they all had machine IDs of 1. 4 clients running but only 1 getting credit thus the low number of CPUs.

You can try either as long as they are sending and getting work ok. At least the getting work part of it.
    edited June 2003
    I set all machines to fold as a single client (except for the dualie server) and now production is up again!!! :fold:;D :fold:
    edited June 2003
    Yes I see it is. Over 7k and climbing for the week. Highest producer on the team again. And we need it too. Badly!! mudd has turned his off, gmackey seems to have lost his lab. JJ is down a bit this week. swettz lost his lab a few weeks ago, so did I. Keebler lost his.

I think I found some more computers so load FAH onto. I was in the local community college today to send a transcript to the Uni I will attend in less than a month and I needed an address. There student lounge doesnt log on or anything. I moved the mouse and the monitor came on to an XP desktop. Cha ching.:)
    edited June 2003
    Hahahaha ...cha ching! #93 :fold:
    Hopefully we can get some of those labs back in the fall ...I know that mudd will be back up as soon as he is back from goofy shores!
    edited June 2003
    I have been thinking of going to Staples or w/e store lets you install whatever benching programs you like.
    edited June 2003
    Haven't you done something similar to that before?
    edited June 2003
    Someone else has. Thats where I got the idea from. I dont know who to give credit tho.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin said

I think I found some more computers so load FAH onto. I was in the local community college today to send a transcript to the Uni I will attend in less than a month and I needed an address. There student lounge doesnt log on or anything. I moved the mouse and the monitor came on to an XP desktop. Cha ching.:)

mmonnin said
    I have been thinking of going to Staples or w/e store lets you install whatever benching programs you like.

Remind me never to play poker with you - you're too wily for me to stand a chance!:D

Prof
    (Good ideas, though. I'm gonna have to look into doing that myself):cool:
    edited June 2003
    lol ...seems to me if you're the one to get those boxes going and maintained then why not give credit to good old you?
    mmonnin said
    Someone else has. Thats where I got the idea from. I dont know who to give credit tho.
    edited June 2003
    I have not gone to a Circuit City or Best Buy and installed there but I know someone said they have.

I have installed it onto the lab computers but not at a store.

Couldnt get FAH onto the community college computers. I cant install programs. I couldnt even install the google toolbar.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2003
    Most of the time those stores don't have the computers that are on display connected to the Internet, so even if you were able to install FAH, how would you go about getting the WUs turned in for credit?

Also, w/ the community college machines be careful as an admin of a college/university was sued for using resources when he install a distributed computing client (don't know what, FAH, SETI, something) on the systems.
    mmonnin said
    I have not gone to a Circuit City or Best Buy and installed there but I know someone said they have.

I have installed it onto the lab computers but not at a store.

Couldnt get FAH onto the community college computers. I cant install programs. I couldnt even install the google toolbar.
    edited June 2003
    a2jfreak said
    Also, w/ the community college machines be careful as an admin of a college/university was sued for using resources when he install a distributed computing client (don't know what, FAH, SETI, something) on the systems.

Do you remember who filed the suit?
    edited June 2003
    There was an article but it was awhile ago.
  • oddharmonicoddharmonic Dallas, TX
    edited June 2003
    csimon said
    Do you remember who filed the suit?

The state of Georgia. David McOwen, then a computer administrator at DeKalb Technical College, installed Distributed.net software on ~500 computers while checking them for Y2K compliance. He resigned a few months after the installation and was later charged with misuse of state computers. He accepted a plea bargain and got off with probation, $2100 in restitution, and 80 hours of community service unrelated to computers or technology.

Cf. the article "<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1023-270939.html?tag=mainstry">The debate over distributed computing</a>" (news.com, 1 Aug 2001) and McOwen's website on the case, <a href="http://www.freemcowen.com/">FreeMcOwen.com</a>.
    edited June 2003
    thanks OH I even signed teh petition myself! :fold:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    misuse of state property...man thats ssuch bull...how is saving the world...one protein at a time misuse..bahhhh...sumtimes i feel that there is little to no help for the human race