Computer will not start

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I am having a proble with my computer. It will switch on OK and all of the fans start (case, processor, system board etc), but all I get is a "black screen" - no POST screen, no "beeps" or anything. When I remove graphics card and/or RAM I then manage a few beeps! I have tried to discharge the CMOS memory - that has not worked either (though it did the last time the computer behaved this way about 6 weeks ago).

Any suggestions as to what to try. . . (though my fear is I might need a new motherboard and CPU - I presume socket A is more or less obsolete now)

Thanks in advance for any help

System is:
ABit KV7 motherboard
AMD Sempron 2600 (I think)
512 MB memory
Maxtor 120 MB HDD

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Then fact that resetting the CMOS bought you some time makes me think (or at least hope) that you merely have a dead or dying CMOS battery. Do you have a tester you could use to check it out?

Also, have you done the BIOS reset using the jumper (or, with some MB's, the reset contact pins)?
  • edited July 2006
    i think it might be the ram problem.
    take out that ram and clean it with the ink rubber.just rub over the golden pins on he ram.
  • edited July 2006
    I have tried both suggestions - but no success so far. . .
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Examine the capacitors on the motherboard and see if any of them look swollen or otherwise misshapen.
  • edited July 2006
    Have tried another video card and have got the computer to start. It looks as though the video card had failed and had been preventing the computer from starting. All I need to do is to swap over the card. Are there any guidelines for that?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yeh, it wouldnt be the cmos, cause a computer will start without the cmos battery, it just wont retain any settings.