Geforce4 Ti 4200 & widescreen resolution

rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I have an old Geforce4 Ti 4200 128 meg edition. Its a relic. Its a dinosaur I know. But it is powering an old p4 northwood workstation.

Now can this card support 1680 x 1050 @ 85 hertz widescreen resolution if I add it as a custom resolution?

I need to know quickly before I plugin my new viewsonic VX2025wm. I don't want to blow up this new monitor, but I don't want to shell out $100 for a "new" AGP graphics card just to use this monitor.

Please help short-media!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    you're not going to blow up the monitor by trying it out. Especially since LCDs don't even refresh, so the 85hz in your specs don't even apply. The card will either drive it at that resolution, or it won't. You cannot damage your monitor by trying it out.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Prime is 100% correct.. the worse thing that will happen is the monitor will be out of range. or will turn on at a lower res.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    The nice thing about the display property settings in Windows is that if you don't accept the changes after 15 seconds is that they will revert back to the prior setting. And Prime and Sledge are 100% correct about no need to worry about blowing anything up.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited July 2006
    Thank you prime, mt and sledge. You all were indeed correct. Nothing bad happened! In fact my lowly geforce4 Ti 4200 CAN handle 1680 x 1050 widescreen. I was sooo suprised.

Thanks guys. totally saved me $100.