Case wires to MOBO...Where ????

edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hi all, my name is POTMAN and I have built a few computers including this one I am using but recently I bought a new case ready for my next build. I have now fitted the motherboard to the case including memory and processor plus the fan. My problem is that the case I have assembled this in is called a AERO COOL cae (model MAGIC) which has built in side fan and many wires to connect to presumably the motherboard which will operate the three different lights for the case,the front USB's , the front camera port and then mic and audio plugs. WHERE DO ALL THESE WIRES PLUG INTO ? Can anyone help me on this, thanks in anticipation POTMAN.:ukflag:

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I always thought it would be great to come up with a standard and make a plug like the ATX power plug. All those little wires and pins are a pain to see and get my fingrs in the right place. Thus I did not vote.
  • edited July 2006
    POTMAN wrote:
    Hi all, my name is POTMAN and I have built a few computers including this one I am using but recently I bought a new case ready for my next build. I have now fitted the motherboard to the case including memory and processor plus the fan. My problem is that the case I have assembled this in is called a AERO COOL cae (model MAGIC) which has built in side fan and many wires to connect to presumably the motherboard which will operate the three different lights for the case,the front USB's , the front camera port and then mic and audio plugs. WHERE DO ALL THESE WIRES PLUG INTO ? Can anyone help me on this, thanks in anticipation POTMAN.:ukflag:

:banghead: :rarr: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2006
    Hi POTMAN. It is not so much the case as it is the motherboard make/model we need to know.

Each motherboard comes out with a manual, which states where to plug what.

Cases tend to be pretty much the same with all the (confusing) wiring. Generally you will have:"Power led, HDD led, Reset switch, Power switch and speaker". These normally get plugged into a set of pins located near the bottom right of the mobo. (check mobo manual).

Same for audio, usb and firewire. It looks confusing, but it should also have some very hard to read print on the mobo as to where the plugs go, unless you have young eyes with 20/20 vision and can see it easy enough, lol.

Jon
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    dragonV8 is right on the money about case wiring. Another thing, if you have poor eyesight you can also trace each pair of wires back to the other end to see what they go to (Power Switch, IDE LED, etc). :)

And Mt_Goat, I absolutely love your idea of having a unified connector. :D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    POTMAN wrote:
    :banghead: :rarr: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
    POTMAN
    Sorry for not answering your question. I now realize that I unintentionally skipped over the end of your post. dragonv8 and profdlp are absolutely correct in respect to the best way to go about going about doing it. I have built hundreds of boxes and still refer to the motherboard manual for making my connections correctly. The leads on the case wires are almost always marked as to where they go and every board amnual has a diagram listing the pin confiuration on the board itself. If you lost or don't have the manual you can always download it from the manufacturers site.
    edited July 2006
    One other thing to add is that MB manufacturers are not always reliable about marking the polarity (+ & -) on the LEDs for power and IDE activity. (Switches, like Reset, etc, don't care which way the connector is attached.) If you are sure that you have an LED lead connected in the right place and the light still doesn't work, simply reverse it. :)
  • edited July 2006
    dragonV8 wrote:
    Hi POTMAN. It is not so much the case as it is the motherboard make/model we need to know.

Each motherboard comes out with a manual, which states where to plug what.

Cases tend to be pretty much the same with all the (confusing) wiring. Generally you will have:"Power led, HDD led, Reset switch, Power switch and speaker". These normally get plugged into a set of pins located near the bottom right of the mobo. (check mobo manual).

Same for audio, usb and firewire. It looks confusing, but it should also have some very hard to read print on the mobo as to where the plugs go, unless you have young eyes with 20/20 vision and can see it easy enough, lol.

My mobo is a NEW Asrock AM2XLI . The case is a MAGIC 3D Aero Cool with swich for three different coloured lights, fan,camra plug,2 USB's and audio mic also. The wires from the hinged mesh front panel are as follows: Small black motherboard connector type plug housing four wires and marked VCC, USB2-, USB2+ and GND plus a 5th floating lead from the GND. these wires are flexed together. The next plug is the same again.The third one is a bunch of 7 wires flexed together each with a single black plug that fits the pins on the motherboard.The seven are marked as follows. VG, VP, TPA+(x2), TPB-(x2) and finally a GND. The final bunch have 5 wires and 2 floating leads as follows. EAR L, EAR R, (both with a floating lead from them and the next three are...MIC DATA, MIC VCC and GND. Do you know where all these might go on the motherboard named above.Thanks,The POTMAN.
    Jon
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    All mother boards have very small, and (usually) very helpful text printed on them, and after you build enough systems, you start to get used to how these things are indicated on the board, but I do remember that at first they can seem a little confusing.

If you can find us a diagram of the board configuration, or if you can take some pictures that clearly show the text that surrouns the pins on the board, then we sould be able to tell you how to connect the leads. :)
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2006
    Theres a digram located in the motherboard manual.
    edited July 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    Theres a digram located in the motherboard manual.
    There is indeed. :)

POTMAN, they give you that manual for a reason. ;):wave: