What do I need for HDTV?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I have the Dell 2005FPW, I am curious about what I would need so that I could use an XBOX 360 or any game console that supports HDTV's. When Halo 3 comes out, I am gonna want to play on my monitor here and if I can do it in HDTV that'd be awsome.

Dunno what other information I need to give, of course there is some time between now and Halo 3 :bigggrin:

Comments

• deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited July 2006
    All you need is a HDMI to DVI converter. They should be fairly cheap since DVI and HDMI are basically the same thing, just the connector is a slightly different form factor.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    What about TV? How would I catch HDTV on my monitor? There are not many HDTV cards for PC's. perhaps something else I could use?
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited July 2006
    ah, I see....

Well there are tuner cards on the market that support HDTV. ATI for example has a HDTV wonder card that does it.

If you don't find a card that takes your fancy there are standalone HDTV tuners. This one for example from LG

Linkage

is the first one I found on google but I'm sure there are others. A standalone box would mean you had to swap connections with your PC whenever you wanted to watch the TV though... I think a PC HDTV card is your best option.
  • lewicronlewicron Glasgow
    edited July 2006
    deicist wrote:
    All you need is a HDMI to DVI converter. They should be fairly cheap since DVI and HDMI are basically the same thing, just the connector is a slightly different form factor.

So I take it you could use that to hook your pc up to a Hi Def TV, as well?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    yeh, probably.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    One of my cousins/roomates ordered Cable TV, should be getting it Saturday. I found THIS which had a good review at T-H. Gonna get that as well Monday. Been looking through available HD Channels for my area, and most people say they get good reception all around here. Might get a better antenna though, my apartments have bad reception for normal TV, I'd be willing to bet HD would be the same. IE I can't catch any TV off the air waves.

I hope all my wireless equipment won't interfere, my wireless router, keyboard, and just EM around my desk in general has me worried.