can't install video card

BoneBone Canadia
edited July 2006 in Hardware
my freind gave me his video card from his old comp cause he bought a new one, its ati radeon x700 256mb AGP.

an improvement over my ati radeon 9600xt 256mb agp.

but u see i had to do a repair install of windows due to other problems and now, i want to install ati driver but it says i need isntall vga driver first. idk how.

if i go to display properties it says.

Default monitor on ________

please help.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Windows should recognize the card and automatically install the default VGA driver. If it hasn't done so on its own, there might still be the remnants of the old ATI driver in there somewhere. See if the "ATI Uninstall Utility" appears in your Add/Remove programs box. If it does, run it to uninstall the old drivers, and the default VGA driver should install on next boot, then you can proceed with the new Catalysts install.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited July 2006
    did that and no go, still says default monitor on _________

well i ran windows recover ast night, and like now i dont even have service. could not having service pack 1 install be causing it to say that. because i had to do windows repair thing last night and it doesnt have service pack 1 or anything i think
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Back up your data and reformat.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    yup sounds like a fubarred OS. follow Thrax's suggestion
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited July 2006
    all solved, friend gave me a 80gb hdd for free (hes rather nice isnt he)

so i installed windows on new harddrive, dragged over files from old drive i needed, formatted old drive, now im all set :-)

thanks for help