RAID 1 mirror and multi-booting

edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hi, I am an experienced computer user, but new to RAID.

I have two identical SATA1 drives and a SIS RAID controller available in BIOS. Currently, I have been using only one of my SATA drives. I want to setup the second drive as a RAID 1 mirror to the current drive, for data security. I understand I can do that with the utilities available to this system, even though the 1st HD has data and my OS is already installed. At least I believe a tech confirmed to me that the mirror can be added and the system will gradually construct the RAID 1 mirror drive.

Here's the catch. I have my current disk set up with two Win2K OS's on two different partitions. I mainly use one, but from time to time I go over and boot to the 2nd to test new software. A boot directory comes up when I boot.

I have been checking around and have not found any info on multi-booting with RAID. I don't even know if it is possible, or if there is anything special I need to do. Appaprently, it isn't common. Is RAID ultimately initiated before the OS boots? If so, I should be able to set it up in BIOS and with either OS (there is a SIS utility), and then it should function whichever OS I boot to. If it loads after the OS, I am wondering if I can set it up on one OS, then boot over to the other and set it up there too. That would seem rather tricky, as how would one OS track what the other one has done?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• edited July 2006
    This is a bit of a surprise, that I have not had one response yet. Is there no one reading here regularly who knows enough about RAID to give me an idea about multi-booting with RAID?

If not, can someone recommend another forum where I will be better able to find out this level of info about RAID?

Thanks.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    The only requirement is that correct RAID-drivers be installed on both OS's before you creat the RAID-1.

Dual booting is not an issue with RAID. The controller makes an exact block by block image from one drive to the other. Then the bios of the controller presents only one drive to the OS. The driver then keeps the second drive hidden and updated.

Just make sure you have drivers installed and that when you create the array you set the RAID to copy in the right direction. I have seen people go backwards and wipe their disk so have a good backup of critical data before doing it.
  • edited July 2006
    Great, thanks. That was the reply I needed. I will install the driver on both OS's first, and then initiate the RAID 1 from one of them. And pray I have the right direction (and backup first); but I hope I know what the right direction is and don't have to pray.

BTW, do you know, are there usually RAID drivers for Win98SE as well? I have a third boot that I seldom use. Trying to figure out if I can use it as well.

Thanks,
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    There are some depending on the controller. Some don't need them since 98 is running on DOS so the controller bios is all you need, but I would have to say in general, No drivers for 98SE.

You just have to check for your controller