Widescreen vs. Normal Ratio

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I'm considering upgrading my monitor from the CRT I currently have to an LCD monitor. I'm interested in the Widescreen version of the LCD's, but I've heard lots of things about them and I'm not sure if I should get one or not. I'm concerned about the slower response time on some widescreen monitors because I do not want to have any problems while I'm gaming. I'm also not sure what brand to get for either, though I love my Viewsonic CRT. Any recommendations would be excellent!

Also, I heard that built-in monitor speakers suck...is this true?

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I have two very different Widescreen LCD's and neither has any ghosting. One of them is a Laptop Screen with a responce time, I believe, of 16ms. The other is a Dell 2005FPW which is just glorious.

I love Widescreen, more space to work with, I don't want the 4:3 ever again.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    If the response time is less than 16ms, it'll feel just like your CRT.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    i like my samsung, its lasted a long time and it works damn well.
  • edited July 2006
    I just received my BenQ 20.1" 8ms Widey from newegg, and it freakin' rocks. The only thing that it doesn't have that I would like would be an adjustable height stand, but I can still see things great due to the tilt feature. I'm not sure if all LCD's have this feature, but this monitor has an auto-adjusting feature that is automatically turned on once it senses a resolution change. If it doesn't work, there is a button on the side of the monitor that does the same thing. It has DVI support, and is an extremely fast monitor. I played Battlefield 1942 and spun in circles to see if I could detect ghosting, and it just looked like I was watching a CRT. The wide viewing angle is more than I imagined. It doesn't act like a typical LCD where when you look at the monitor from one angle, like changing in brightness...it acts just like a CRT. Did I mention no dead pixels?

BenQ FTW!

I don't know much about built in speakers on monitors, but as a speaker fanatic, anything that is "built in" has to suck. There is no way those kinds speakers can belch out enough power to suffice even a flea's ears. For 1, they are cheaply made, and 2, they can only take so much power before they distort.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2006
    Silly question time. How does widescreen work? I got a widescreen TV and all it does is stretch the picture to fit, this makes people look fatter than they are unless the prog was made for widescreen. For a monitor, if two windows side by side fill the screen (on a 4:3) would the same picture fill a widescreen or would there be more screen to use? In a game, is there more picture with widescreen or does it just distort to fill it?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    If the response time is less than 16ms, it'll feel just like your CRT.

That's not true in the slightest. Most LCD (and by most I mean almost every single one) are no-where near the quoted response time and if you have even remotely decent eyesight you'll see the flaws in LCDs response times quite easily. It's less noticable in FPSs than most things (unless it's a game like XIII then it will be very obvious).

To pain a black and white picture of the response times, open up paint and make the canvas the entire screen size and make it the colour grey (experiment with different shades if you like) and then draw a red box (or blue, etc, fairly small, only say 1cm by 1cm) then cut it out and drag it around the screen. You'll see your response time is far from 16ms. If you don't notice ghosting during general gaming and such, well, then you're just not very observant.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    No, it's pretty true. Most of us don't spend inordinate amounts of time nitpicking subjective things like 192kbps vs. 256kbps vs. lossless or CRT vs. 16ms vs. 8ms vs. 2ms.

Sorry, Trogdor.
    edited July 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    No, it's pretty true.
    Yeah, I know you can show some optical illusion or effect with red boxes on grey backgrounds but in the real world I have never seen any ghosting on my 8ms Iiyama. It has better colours and a better image than my Iiyama CRT. I play a lot of games and have decent eyesight and will never go back to CRT.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    No, it's pretty true. Most of us don't spend inordinate amounts of time nitpicking subjective things like 192kbps vs. 256kbps vs. lossless or CRT vs. 16ms vs. 8ms vs. 2ms.

Sorry, Trogdor.

No need to be a nasty person about it and on certain (lots of games) it's more than clear. It's not subjective, it's ****ing obvious most of the time.
    bothered wrote:
    Yeah, I know you can show some optical illusion or effect with red boxes on grey backgrounds but in the real world I have never seen any ghosting on my 8ms Iiyama. It has better colours and a better image than my Iiyama CRT. I play a lot of games and have decent eyesight and will never go back to CRT.

Optical illusion? It's not an illusion, it just highlights how slow the actual response time is. Hell, if you want a real world example then try something like Worms Amageddon or XIII (It's more apparent on bold vivid colours).

////EDIT/////
    Watch the language. Necropolis
    ////end edit///
    edited July 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Optical illusion? It's not an illusion, it just highlights how slow the actual response time is. Hell, if you want a real world example then try something like Worms Amageddon or XIII (It's more apparent on bold vivid colours).
    Sorry I should have made it clearer. I don't mean it is an illusion, I mean there are ways to show ghosting to prove a point if you wish to but all I have is my experiance of COD2, F.E.A.R. and the Prey demo as well as dozens of other games and progs and I have never seen ghosting other than with a red box on a grey background, which I don't do very often.
  • edited July 2006
    No need to be a nasty person about it and on certain (lots of games) it's more than clear. It's not subjective, it's ****ing obvious most of the time.
    The ironing is delicious...
  • edited July 2006
    Ok, so bottomline widescreens are cool and will work well in games. Now, what brand is recommended?

BenQ sounds pretty good so far.
  • edited July 2006
    I like my new Sceptre branded widescreen monitor.

Bothered, Widescreen format (or 16:9) differs from the standard format (4:3) by giving you a larger viewable area horizontally over vertically.

For example, take a look at the attached image. The red box on the inside is the old standard 4:3 format, while the new 16:9 format is in blue.

Note how much more you can see in 16:9 vs. 4:3. This difference is what makes widescreen TVs and monitors more desireable.

Note: Movies are traditionally shot in 16:9 format. This is why you can get DVDs in "widescreen" format and view them on a 4:3 TV, only with black bars on the top and bottom of the image (and a much smaller image overall) while a widescreen TV will display the movie in all it's glory, without black bars anywhere on the screen. "Standard" format movies you view at home which are able to fit 4:3 televisions need to be re-edited to fit the smaller screens, and you lose quite a bit of the original movie (the stuff which gets cut off at the left and right of the displayed image) in the process.

The reason your new widescreen TV appears to be stretching the image really wide is because you're trying to view 4:3 format on a 16:9 screen. The solution to this is to set your TV to 4:3 format while watching these channels which appear "stretched out". This will leave two black bars on either side of the picture to make up for the difference in aspect, but the image itself will appear correctly. Look in the manual of your new TV to see how this is done.
    edited July 2006
    TheSmJ, thanks for the explanation but I knew that, I actually have qualifications in TV servicing:)
    When I say 'how does it work' I'm really asking about the stretching of the image when playing games etc. Is it like watching 4:3 on a widescreen TV? IE, do you have to change the aspect ratio or put up with the black side bars?
    If you just have some windows open are they stretched or can you make use of the extra area? I've never looked at it on a monitor or a PC and haven't seen any settings to change the aspect ratio, do you only get them when you install a widescreen?
    Sorry if my question was a little misleading.
  • edited July 2006
    I've seen pictures of FEAR running in wide screen mode. Rather than stretching out the displayed image you get a little more peripheral vision instead.

Console games have been doing the same thing for years now but I couldnt tell you how long PC game developers have taken it into consideration.
  • edited July 2006
    Not a problem Bothered. I plan on going over a lot of that kind of stuff in my article anyways so it just gave me a bit of practice with explaining it. :)

A lot of game engines written over the past few years including the Doom 3 and Half Life 2 engines have the option to select 16:9 or 16:10 aspects, and the appropriate resolutions.

Older games without the capability or modifications to support widescreen monitors will give you the "stretched out" look though. Personally I couldn't stand to play a game like that.
    edited July 2006
    The above two posts answer my question perfectly, Cheers guys. If games are written with widescreen it may be worth looking at one next upgrade.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2006
    Good info in this thread.. moving to Graphics forum :thumbup
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    rapture-IC wrote:
    Rather than stretching out the displayed image you get a little more peripheral vision instead.

Oblvion seems to do this as well... at least, I can't play the game at 4:3 resolutions any more (it gives me a headache), only widescreen resolutions are comfortable - I'm pretty sure the FOV is increased on widescreen. Most newer games can accommodate widescreen pretty satisfactorily, and the OS works with it even better.
  • edited July 2006
    Take a look a the Viewsonic with 2 ms response time, or so they say.
  • edited July 2006
    I think that's grey-to-grey, not on to off. You need to watch out for that while shopping.